Vanderbilt vs. South Carolina: Full Game Preview
|Vanderbilt||K Johnson 15.9||K Bright 6.0||K Johnson 3.2|
|South Carolina||B Williams 11.8||L Jackson 7.3||E Smith 3.9|
Vanderbilt visits Colonial Life Arena on Saturday to take on South Carolina. Tip-off occurs at 1:30 EST and you can catch it on SEC Network. The Commodores are 5-3 against the Gamecocks over the last four years. They won 59-48 on 2/22/2012 the last time they played.
Vanderbilt is in 11th place in the SEC and needs to keep pace with South Carolina, who is currently in 10th place.
In their last outing, despite 19 points and 8 assists from Kedren Johnson, the Commodores fell to Ole Miss 89-79 on January 15th. He contributes team-best marks with 15.9 points per game, 3.2 assists per game, and 1.6 steals per game. For the Gamecocks, Michael Carrera finished with 23 points and 10 rebounds in the 82-73 win over LSU on January 16th. He is averaging 10.4 points and 7.1 rebounds per game.
In reviewing statistical differences between the teams, South Carolina appears to have an edge in one significant area, scoring, where the Gamecocks have the upper hand over the Commodores, 73 points per game to 59 points per game. South Carolina ranks 1st in their conference in offensive rebounding percentage at 44.1, which also places them 2nd in the country.
South Carolina StatSmack
- Vanderbilt has a much better overall winning percentage over the last 5 years (0.662 to 0.511).
- Vanderbilt waxed South Carolina by 11 points the last time they played (Feb 22, 2012).
- Vanderbilt has a much lower admission rate (more selective) according to Kiplinger (20% vs 64%).
- We have a history of cultivating talent. Over the past 10 years, Vanderbilt has had more players drafted by the NBA than South Carolina (6 vs 1).
- Be afraid. Vanderbilt blew out more teams than South Carolina last season (6 blowouts vs 2).
- Vanderbilt has a much higher 4-year graduation rate than South Carolina according to Kiplinger (84.3% vs 46%).
- Vanderbilt is taller. The average height of the top 8 players on Vanderbilt is 78.4 inches compared to 75.6 inches for South Carolina.
- At least you keep showing up. Vanderbilt has an average margin of victory of 8 over South Carolina in 22 wins since 1982.
- Even computers respect Vanderbilt more. We have a better RPI this season than South Carolina (RPI: #188 vs #258).
- The Vanderbilt three-point leader (Kedren Johnson) has more three-pointers than the South Carolina three-point leader (Brenton Williams).