(11-7, 5-1 away)
(23) Illinois 54
(14-5, 11-3 home)
Venue: Assembly Hall (IL)
8:15PM ET / 5:15PM PT, January 17, 2013
||R Hearn 14
||J Swopshire 5
||D Sobolewski 4
||B Paul 18
||B Paul 4
||T Abrams 3
Even though they entered the game as a 10-point underdog, Northwestern pulled off an upset against No. 23 Illinois 68-54 in conference play. Northwestern took a commanding 36-21 lead at halftime and never looked back. The Wildcats improve their record to 1-2 versus AP-Ranked teams this season with the win. The Wildcats were led by Reggie Hearn, who got a team-high 20 points plus two rebounds. Tre Demps had 10 points and added four rebounds. For the Fighting Illini, Brandon Paul finished with a game-high 21 points and four rebounds. Northwestern (11-7, 2-3 Big Ten) gets second-ranked Indiana (15-2, 3-1 Big Ten) on their home court on Sunday, January 20th.
Northwestern Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 1:39 left to go.
- Northwestern started 11-7 during the 2008 and 2001 seasons (since 1996).
- NU beat the spread by 24.5 points. That makes the 8th time this season the Wildcats have beaten the spread.
- Prior to this game, NU played 42 Top 25 opponents in the last 5 seasons with a record of 6-36.
- Northwestern has won 100% of the time this season (6-0) when its field goal percentage has been 47.2% or better.
- The Wildcats have won 90% of the time this season (9-1) after recording 68 or more total points.
- NU has won 100% of the time this season (4-0) when opponents record 30 or fewer rebounds.
- NU has won 86% of the time this season (6-1) after holding an opponent to under 38.8% field goal percentage.
- This season Northwestern has won 100% of the time (6-0) when Jared Swopshire has 12 points or more, 73% of the time (8-3) when Reggie Hearn has 4 field goals made or more, and 100% of the time (4-0) when Dave Sobolewski has 6 assists or more.
- The Wildcats set a season high for free throws made.
- The last time NU recorded at least 26 free throws made was Jan 09, 2011 against Indiana.
- NU set a season low for blocks.
- The Wildcats have recorded more three-pointers than their opponents for the past 4 games.
- Northwestern has recorded fewer rebounds than their opponents for the past 5 games.
- Reggie Hearn recorded a team season high in free throws made with 9.
- The top two scorers (Reggie Hearn and Jared Swopshire) accounted for 47.0% of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Jared Swopshire and Alex Olah) accounted for 41.6% of the rebounds.
- Reggie Hearn has led the team in scoring in 6 out of 18 games this season.
- Jared Swopshire has led the team in rebounding in 10 out of 18 games this season.
- This marks the 3rd 20-point game of Reggie Hearn's career.
- Dave Sobolewski has 4 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the 2nd foul out of the season for Dave Sobolewski.
- This was the 3rd foul out of the season for Mike Turner.
Illinois Game Notes
- Illinois lost and did not cover the spread.
- This loss extended the Fighting Illini losing streak to 3 games.
- Brandon Paul accounted for 38.8% of the team's points.
- Brandon Paul has led the team in scoring 14 times in 19 games this season.
- Tyler Griffey has led the team in rebounding 3 times in 19 games this season.
- This marks the 21st 20-point game of Brandon Paul's career.
- This was the 4th foul out of the season for Nnanna Egwu.