On a night when they scored 33 points from beyond the three-point line, Murray State thumped Eastern Illinois 70-49 in conference play. This one was close at the half, with Murray State leading 27-24. They pulled away in the second half and won by a big margin. The Racers were led by Ed Daniel, who put up 10 points plus nine rebounds. Isaiah Canaan was sharp from three-point range, going 5 for 10 to get to a game-high 17 points overall. For the Panthers, Sherman Blanford finished with 11 points and four rebounds. Murray State (13-4, 4-1 OVC) takes on SIU Edwardsville (6-9, 2-3 OVC) on Saturday, January 19th on their home court.
Murray State Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 3:16 left to go.
- Murray State beat the spread by 6.0 points. That makes the 6th time this season the Racers have beaten the spread.
- This was the 4th blowout win this season (a win by 20 or more points). Over the past 5 seasons, Murray State has been on the winning end of 38 blowout games.
- The Racers have won 100% of the time this season (4-0) after recording 15 or more assists.
- Murray State has won 100% of the time this season (8-0) after holding an opponent to under 41.3% field goal percentage.
- Murray State has won 100% of the time this season (4-0) when opponents record 7 or fewer free throws made.
- This season Murray State has won 77% of the time (10-3) when Ed Daniel has 10 points or more and 75% of the time (9-3) when Isaiah Canaan plays 35 minutes or more.
- The Racers set a season high for three-pointers.
- Murray State set a season low for blocks.
- The Racers have recorded more free throws made than their opponents for the past 5 games.
- Murray State has recorded fewer assists than their opponents for the past 4 games.
- This is the 7th game at home this season--Murray State has a 12.3 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (Isaiah Canaan and Dexter Fields) accounted for 41.4% of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Ed Daniel and Brandon Garrett) accounted for 41.9% of the rebounds.
- Isaiah Canaan has led the team in scoring in 14 out of 17 games this season.
- Ed Daniel has led the team in rebounding in 14 out of 17 games this season.
- Isaiah Canaan has 17 straight double-digit point games.
Eastern Illinois Game Notes
- Eastern Illinois lost and did not cover the spread.
- This was the 3rd blowout loss this season (a loss by 20 or more points). Over the past 5 seasons, EIU has been on the losing end of 13 blowout games.
- This loss extended the Panthers losing streak to 12 games.
- The top two scorers (Josh Piper and Sherman Blanford) accounted for 44.8% of the points.
- Josh Piper has led the team in scoring 4 times and in rebounding 5 times in 19 games this season.
- Sherman Blanford has 4 straight double-digit point games.