(14-5, 6-4 away)
(11-7, 9-1 home)
Venue: Calihan Hall
7:00PM ET / 4:00PM PT, January 17, 2013
||R Broekhoff 17
||R Broekhoff 8
||E Buggs 3
||R McCallum 18
||N Minnerath 5
||R McCallum 4
Detroit faced off with Valparaiso on Thursday, January 17th and suffered a heartbreaking loss against the Crusaders 89-88 in conference play. At the half, Detroit led 50-32, but Valparaiso took control in the second half and came back to win it. The Titans got a staggering 36 points and four rebounds from Nick Minnerath. Doug Anderson had 17 points and added four rebounds. For the Crusaders, Ryan Broekhoff got 18 points and nine rebounds (5 Ast 3 Stl). Detroit (11-7, 3-2 Horizon) takes on UIC (11-7, 2-3 Horizon) on Saturday, January 19th at home.
Detroit Game Notes
- The last time Detroit started the season 11-7 was 2000.
- The Titans have been unlucky 4 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Detroit has lost 36 close games.
- Detroit has lost 83% of the time this season (1-5) after recording 7 or fewer steals.
- When the opposition records 38 or more rebounds this season, Detroit has lost 80% of the time (1-4).
- This is the 3rd loss of the season where the Titans opponent came back to win after being down at halftime.
- This is the 10th game at home this season--Detroit has a 12.9 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Nick Minnerath recorded a team season high in points with 36 and field goals made with 12.
- Nick Minnerath accounted for 40.9% of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Ray McCallum and Juwan Howard Jr.) accounted for 41.3% of the rebounds.
- Nick Minnerath has led the team in scoring in 3 out of 18 games this season.
- Ray McCallum has led the team in rebounding in 5 out of 18 games this season.
- This was the 1st foul out of the season for Juwan Howard Jr..
- This marks the 10th 20-point game of Nick Minnerath's career.
- Nick Minnerath had career highs with 36 points and 12 field goals made.
Valparaiso Game Notes
- The Crusaders won this one, but have lost 2 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Valparaiso has lost 21 close games.
- Kevin Van Wijk recorded a team season high in points with 31, field goals made with 13, and field goals attempted with 15.
- Kevin Van Wijk accounted for 34.8% of the team's points.
- Kevin Van Wijk has led the team in scoring 5 times in 19 games this season.
- Ryan Broekhoff has led the team in rebounding 13 times in 19 games this season.
- Ryan Broekhoff has 6 straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the 9th 20-point game of Kevin Van Wijk's career.
- Kevin Van Wijk has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- Kevin Van Wijk set career highs with 31 points and 13 field goals made.
- Matt Kenney set a career high with 4 three-pointers.
|A+||Kevin Van Wijk||30||31||5||1||0||1||2|
|B||J. Howard Jr.||35||6||5||3||0||0||1|