Southern Utah 67
(5-11, 1-7 away)
(11-4, 6-1 home)
Venue: Dahlberg Arena
9:00PM ET / 6:00PM PT, January 17, 2013
||J Stevenett 15
||J Stevenett 6
||D Heuir 2
||M Ward 15
||K Jamar 6
||W Cherry 5
Southern Utah dropped one to Montana 73-67 in conference play on Thursday, January 17th. The Thunderbirds were led by Damon Heuir, who put up a team-high 19 points, with 15 coming from three-point range. Jackson Stevenett had 16 points and added five rebounds. For the Grizzlies, Spencer Coleman finished with 12 points and five rebounds. The next game will be on Monday, January 21st when Southern Utah (5-11, 3-4 Big Sky) travels to Montana State (6-8, 3-3 Big Sky).
Southern Utah Game Notes
- Southern Utah started 5-11 during the 2009, 2008, and 2001 seasons (since 1996).
- SUU beat the spread by 7.5 points. That makes the 7th time this season the Thunderbirds have beaten the spread.
- Southern Utah has lost 100% of the time this season (0-7) after recording 4 or fewer steals.
- Southern Utah has lost 83% of the time this season (1-5) after committing 21 or more turnovers.
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 46.5% or better this season, Southern Utah has lost 100% of the time (0-6).
- When the opposition records 14 or more steals this season, Southern Utah has lost 100% of the time (0-3).
- When the opposition records 73 or more total points this season, Southern Utah has lost 83% of the time (1-5).
- The Thunderbirds set a season high for three-pointers.
- The last time SUU recorded at least 10 three-pointers was Jan 29, 2011 against South Dakota State.
- The Thunderbirds have recorded more blocks than their opponents for the past 6 games.
- Southern Utah has recorded fewer free throws made than their opponents for the past 4 games.
- Damon Heuir recorded a team season high in three-pointers with 5.
- The top two scorers (Damon Heuir and Jackson Stevenett) accounted for 52.2% of the points.
- Damon Heuir has led the team in scoring in 8 out of 16 games this season.
- Jackson Stevenett has led the team in rebounding in 9 out of 16 games this season.
- Jackson Stevenett has 10 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the 2nd foul out of the season for Jackson Stevenett.
- Damon Heuir has 5 straight double-digit point games.
- Damon Heuir had a career high with 5 three-pointers.
- This was the 4th foul out of the season for Jordan Johnson.
- This was the 5th foul out of the season for Jaren Jeffery.
Montana Game Notes
- Montana won, but did not cover the spread.
- Mathias Ward recorded a team season high in free throws made with 11 and free throws attempted with 13.
- Kareem Jamar tallied a team season high in free throws attempted with 13.
- The top two scorers (Mathias Ward and Kareem Jamar) accounted for 43.8% of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Kareem Jamar and Spencer Coleman) accounted for 42.8% of the rebounds.
- Mathias Ward has led the team in scoring 8 times in 15 games this season.
- Kareem Jamar has led the team in rebounding 10 times in 15 games this season.
- This marks the 7th 20-point game of Mathias Ward's career.
- Mathias Ward has 9 straight double-digit point games.
- Kareem Jamar has 4 straight double-digit point games.
- Will Cherry has 4 straight double-digit point games.