Siena vs. Canisius: Full Game Preview
|Siena||O Anosike 13.3||O Anosike 11.8||E Hymes 3.5|
|Canisius||B Baron 16.9||C Manhertz 8.8||B Baron 5.8|
Siena heads to Koessler Athletic Center on Saturday to take on Canisius. It takes place at 2:00 EST. The Saints defeated the Golden Griffins 57-54 on January 11th and are 9-1 against them over the past four years.
Canisius maintains 5th place in the MAAC while Siena sits at 8th place.
In their last outing, despite 15 points and 10 rebounds from O.D Anosike, the Saints fell to Niagara 87-64 on January 17th. A crucial part of the team, he leads the way with 13.3 points per game and 11.8 rebounds per game. For the Golden Griffins, Isaac Sosa finished with 25 points in the 64-60 win over Manhattan on January 17th. He contributes 2.1 rebounds per game in addition to his 12.4 points per game.
In reviewing statistical differences between the teams, Canisius appears to have an edge in one significant area, scoring, where the Golden Griffins have the upper hand over the Saints, 73 points per game to 58 points per game. A key area of strength for Canisius is effective field goal percentage at 52.5, which ranks 2nd in their conference (and 43rd nationally).
- Siena waxed Canisius by 11 points the last time they played (Feb 26, 2012).
- It must sting. Siena has blown out Canisius by 20 points or more on 7 occasions since 2001.
- We're so much better than you, we get lazy. Siena has come back to win after being down at half against Canisius 5 times since 1997.
- Siena is better under pressure, and has defeated Canisius in 6 out of the last 10 games decided by 5 points or fewer.
- Siena has a much lower out-of-state cost per year according to Kiplinger than Canisius ($38,095 vs $41,757).
- Siena is better at defending the three (30.4% allowed vs 33.6% allowed) than Canisius this season.
- The Siena steals leader (Rakeem Brookins) has more steals than the Canisius steals leader (Reggie Groves).
- Siena takes less vacation, with more NCAA Tournament appearances over the last 10 years than Canisius (3 vs 0).
- Siena has a much lower admission rate (more selective) according to Kiplinger (53% vs 77%).
- People just expect us to beat you. Siena has been the favorite 10 out of the last 11 times.