Eastern Illinois vs. Austin Peay: Full Game Preview
|Eastern Illinois||J Piper 10.1||S Blanford 5.3||A Akers 4.1|
|Austin Peay||T Betran 17.7||C Horton 6.6||J Purvis 3.4|
Eastern Illinois visits Dunn Center on Saturday to take on Austin Peay. It starts at 8:30 EST. The Panthers are 1-7 against the Governors over the last four years. They fell 76-64 on 1/21/2012, the last time they met.
Eastern Illinois maintains 12th place in the Ohio Valley while Austin Peay is in 9th place.
In their last match-up, Josh Piper finished with 11 points in the Panthers 70-49 loss against Murray State on January 17th. He leads the team with 10.1 points per game and 0.6 blocks per game. For the Governors, Travis Betran finished with 15 points in the 66-53 loss to SIU Edwardsville on January 17th. With 17.7 points per game and 1.4 steals per game, he has team-best marks in both categories.
In reviewing statistical differences between the teams, Austin Peay appears to have an edge in two significant areas. One concern is scoring, where the Governors hold the advantage over the Panthers, 71 points per game to 56 points per game. Additionally, Austin Peay has an edge over Eastern Illinois in rebounding, 33 per game to 27 per game.
On the other hand, the Panthers turn the ball over less often, 13 per game to 16 per game.
Austin Peay StatSmack
- Eastern Illinois is better under pressure, and has defeated Austin Peay in 6 out of the last 11 games decided by 5 points or fewer.
- Even computers respect Eastern Illinois more. We have a better RPI this season than Austin Peay (RPI: #311 vs #319).
- The Eastern Illinois assist leader (Austin Akers) has more assists than the Austin Peay assist leader (Travis Betran).
- We're so much better than you, we get lazy. Eastern Illinois has come back to win after being down at half against Austin Peay 7 times since 1997.
- Eastern Illinois has a better scoring defense (63.5 allowed per game vs 75.1 allowed per game) than Austin Peay this season.
- The Eastern Illinois steals leader (Austin Akers) has more steals than the Austin Peay steals leader (Travis Betran).
- Austin Akers is ranked 6th in the Ohio Valley in assists.
- Josh Piper is ranked 10th in the Ohio Valley in three-pointers.
- Eastern Illinois allows fewer rebounds (30.9 allowed per game vs 37.2 allowed per game) than Austin Peay this season.