|Southern University||M Miller 17.1||B Moore 7.4||J Grace 3.3|
|Alabama State||J Freelove 12.3||S Patterson 5.1||D McDaniel 3.8|
On Saturday, Southern University heads to Dunn-Oliver Acadome to take on Alabama State. The game gets underway at 6:00 EST. The Jaguars are 3-5 against the Hornets over the last four years. The last time they met (2/20/2012) they won 55-53.
Southern University is in 1st place in the conference, Alabama State is in 5th place. Southern University has won eight games straight.
In their last match-up, Macolm Miller finished with 28 points and 10 rebounds in the Jaguars 88-54 blowout of Mississippi Valley State on January 14th. He leads the team with 17.1 points per game. For the Hornets, Jamel Waters finished with 12 points in the 64-57 loss to Alabama A&M on January 12th. He averages 5.8 points per game in addition to a team-best 1.9 steals per game.
Southern University looks to have the advantage over Alabama State in one significant area, scoring, where the Jaguars have an edge over the Hornets, 68 points per game to 60 points per game.
Alabama State StatSmack
- Keep filling up on cupcakes. Southern University has a stronger schedule than Alabama State this season (SOS Rank: #37 vs #188).
- Macolm Miller is ranked 5th in the SWAC in points, 10th in the SWAC in rebounds, 4th in the SWAC in three-pointers, and 4th in the SWAC in steals.
- Southern University allows fewer rebounds (34.1 allowed per game vs 38.6 allowed per game) than Alabama State this season.
- You'll do better on next semester's exams, right? Southern University currently has a higher Academic Progress Rate (862 to 820) than Alabama State, per the NCAA.
- Southern University beat Alabama State by 2 points the last time they played (Feb 20, 2012).
- You get an A for effort, but Southern University has emerged victorious against Alabama State the last 2 times they've played.
- Southern University has a more potent offense, scoring more points (65.8 per game vs 58.8 per game) than Alabama State this season.
- Southern University does a better job contesting shots (39.1% allowed vs 45.1% allowed) than Alabama State this season.
- Southern University has a better scoring defense (59.3 allowed per game vs 73.4 allowed per game) than Alabama State this season.
- Southern University is better at defending the three (27.5% allowed vs 37.6% allowed) than Alabama State this season.
- Southern University players are more experienced than Alabama State players (8,419 minutes played vs 7,285 minutes played).