|Texas Southern||O Strong 16.2||F Sturdivant 7.4||R Penn 5.6|
|UAPB||T Kennedy 13.3||D Haynes 6.5||T Hammond 3.7|
Arkansas-Pine Bluff plays host to Texas Southern at K.L. Johnson Complex on Saturday. It gets started at 8:30 EST. The Golden Lions are 4-6 against the Tigers over the last four years. They fell 84-65 on 2/18/2012, the last time they met.
Arkansas-Pine Bluff is tied with Texas Southern for 2nd in the conference.
In their last game, Lazabian Jackson put up 17 points and 5 rebounds in the Golden Lions 62-52 win over Alcorn State on January 14th. He contributes 4.2 rebounds per game in addition to his 10.9 points per game. In a 95-50 blowout of Grambling State on January 14th, Fred Sturdivant put up 22 points and 10 rebounds for the Tigers. With 7.4 rebounds per game and 2.9 blocks per game, he has team-best marks in both categories.
Texas Southern has a statistical edge over Arkansas-Pine Bluff in a single key area, scoring, where the Tigers have the upper hand over the Golden Lions, 66 points per game to 56 points per game. From a tempo-free perspective, Texas Southern is strong in turnover percentage at 17.7. This is good enough for 1st in the conference and 41st in the nation.
Texas Southern StatSmack
- Arkansas-Pine Bluff does a better job contesting shots (43.0% allowed vs 47.5% allowed) than Texas Southern this season.
- Arkansas-Pine Bluff is bigger. The average weight of the top 8 players on Arkansas-Pine Bluff is 201 lbs compared to 191 lbs for Texas Southern.
- Tevin Hammond is ranked 4th in the SWAC in assists and 49th nationally in steals.
- We're so much better than you, we get lazy. Arkansas-Pine Bluff has come back to win after being down at half against Texas Southern 3 times since 2002.
- DaVon Haynes is ranked 3rd in the SWAC in rebounds and 9th in the SWAC in steals.
- Arkansas-Pine Bluff is taller. The average height of the top 8 players on Arkansas-Pine Bluff is 76.6 inches compared to 74.9 inches for Texas Southern.
- Pine Bluff isn't as congested as Houston (population is significantly lower).
- Lazabian Jackson is ranked 3rd in the SWAC in steals.
- Mitchell Anderson is ranked 8th in the SWAC in rebounds, 9th in the SWAC in steals, and 4th in the SWAC in blocks.