Arizona vs. Arizona State: Full Game Preview
|Arizona||M Lyons 14.6||K Tarczewski 5.9||M Lyons 3.3|
|Arizona State||J Carson 17.1||C Felix 8.1||J Carson 5.0|
Arizona State plays host to No. 7 Arizona at Wells Fargo Arena on Saturday. It takes place at 2:30 EST and you can catch it on FSN. The Sun Devils are 5-4 against the Wildcats over the last four years. They won 87-80 on 3/4/2012 the last time they played.
This game will separate Arizona and Arizona State, who currently share 4th place in the Pac 12.
In their last game, Jahii Carson put up 20 points and 7 rebounds in the Sun Devils 68-65 loss to Oregon on January 13th. A crucial part of the team, he leads the way with 17.1 points per game and 5.0 assists per game. For the Wildcats, Nick Johnson finished with 14 points and 6 rebounds in the 80-70 win over Oregon State on January 12th. He is averaging 12.3 points per game in addition to a team-best 2.3 steals per game. Three advanced metrics in which Arizona is especially proficient are defensive rebounding percentage at 74.4, effective field goal percentage at 53.6, and offensive rebounding percentage at 38.4.
- The Arizona State rebounding leader (Carrick Felix) has more rebounds than the Arizona rebounding leader (Brandon Ashley).
- The Arizona State assist leader (Jahii Carson) has more assists than the Arizona assist leader (Mark Lyons).
- The Arizona State scoring leader (Jahii Carson) has more points than the Arizona scoring leader (Mark Lyons).
- Evan Gordon is ranked 4th in the Pac 12 in three-pointers and 6th in the Pac 12 in steals.
- We're so much better than you, we get lazy. Arizona State has come back to win after being down at half against Arizona 5 times since 2007.
- Jordan Bachynski is ranked 2nd nationally in blocks.
- The Arizona State blocks leader (Jordan Bachynski) has more blocks than the Arizona blocks leader (Brandon Ashley).
- Carrick Felix is ranked 10th in the Pac 12 in points, 8th in the Pac 12 in rebounds, 5th in the Pac 12 in steals, and 6th in the Pac 12 in blocks.
- Chris Colvin is ranked 9th in the Pac 12 in steals.
- Arizona has to pay up to win. The coach for Arizona State has a much lower base salary than Arizona ($1,220,000 vs $2,300,000).