La Salle vs. Xavier: Full Game Preview
|La Salle||R Galloway 17.1||S Zack 6.5||R Galloway 3.4|
|Xavier||S Christon 14.5||T Taylor 7.8||S Christon 5.1|
Xavier plays host to La Salle at Cintas Center on Saturday. It gets started at 2:00 EST and you can see it on CBSSN Regional. The Musketeers are 3-1 against the Explorers over the last four years. They fell 80-70 on 1/4/2012, the last time they met.
La Salle is in 5th place in the conference and Xavier is in 1st place.
In their last outing, behind 19 points and 10 assists from Semaj Christon, the Musketeers defeated St. Bonaventure 66-64 on January 16th. An integral part of the team, he leads the way in points (14.5), assists (5.1), and steals (1.4). For the Explorers, Jerrell Wright finished with 16 points and 5 rebounds in the 72-70 win over Dayton on January 16th. He contributes 6.4 rebounds per game in addition to his 11.1 points per game.
In reviewing statistical differences between the teams, La Salle appears to have an edge in one significant area, scoring, where the Explorers have the upper hand over the Musketeers, 73 points per game to 64 points per game. La Salle will hope to exploit their strength in turnover percentage in this matchup. Their mark of 16.8 in this area ranks 2nd in the conference and 22nd in the country.
La Salle StatSmack
- We just win. Xavier has more wins over the last 5 years than La Salle (137 vs 90).
- Xavier does a better job contesting shots (40.3% allowed vs 44.7% allowed) than La Salle this season.
- The Xavier rebounding leader (Travis Taylor) has more rebounds than the La Salle rebounding leader (Steve Zack).
- Xavier has a significantly better overall winning percentage over the last 20 years (0.715 to 0.436).
- The Xavier assist leader (Semaj Christon) has more assists than the La Salle assist leader (Ramon Galloway).
- People just expect us to beat you. Xavier has been the favorite 27 out of the last 28 times.
- We win when it counts, too. Xavier has more NCAA Tournament wins over the last 10 years than La Salle (14 vs 0).
- Keep filling up on cupcakes. Xavier has a stronger schedule than La Salle this season (SOS Rank: #52 vs #133).
- Xavier allows fewer rebounds (30.9 allowed per game vs 34.5 allowed per game) than La Salle this season.