Fairfield vs. Iona: Full Game Preview
|Fairfield||D Needham 13.4||A Sidibe 4.9||D Wade 4.1|
|Iona||L Jones 22.0||D Laury 8.8||L Jones 4.3|
On Friday, Fairfield visits Hynes Athletic Center to take on Iona. It takes place at 9:00 EST and you can catch it on ESPN U. The Stags are 4-5 against the Gaels over the last four years. The last time they met (3/4/2012) they won 85-75.
Fairfield is currently in 7th place in the conference and Iona is in 2nd.
In their last match-up, Justin Jenkins finished with 16 points in the Stags 67-64 loss against Niagara on January 13th. In addition to his 3.0 points per game, he is also chipping in 0.8 rebounds per game. For the Gaels, Sean Armand finished with 32 points and 5 rebounds in the 97-87 win over Canisius on January 13th. He contributes 5.8 rebounds per game in addition to his 18.9 points per game.
Analyzing the differences between the teams, Iona has an edge in one important area, scoring, where the Gaels have the upper hand over the Stags, 82 points per game to 62 points per game. Iona can be found near the top of the conference standings in the following categories: effective field goal percentage at 53.8 and turnover percentage at 17.5.
- Keith Matthews is ranked 10th in the MAAC in blocks.
- Desmond Wade is ranked 3rd in the MAAC in assists.
- We just win. Fairfield has more wins over the last 5 years than Iona (110 vs 102).
- The Fairfield assist leader (Desmond Wade) has more assists than the Iona assist leader (Lamont Jones).
- It's only wins and losses, but Fairfield has a better overall record than Iona this season (9-5 vs 7-6).
- Fairfield waxed Iona by 10 points the last time they played (Mar 04, 2012).
- We're so much better than you, we get lazy. Fairfield has come back to win after being down at half against Iona 3 times since 2006.
- Colin Nickerson is ranked 3rd in the MAAC in steals.
- The Fairfield steals leader (Colin Nickerson) has more steals than the Iona steals leader (Tavon Sledge).
- Fairfield is better at defending the three (33.3% allowed vs 37.8% allowed) than Iona this season.
- Amadou Sidibe is ranked 6th in the MAAC in rebounds.