Saint Mary's 70
(14-4, 3-3 away)
Brigham Young 69
(14-5, 11-1 home)
Venue: Marriott Center
11:00PM ET / 8:00PM PT, January 16, 2013
||M Dellavedova 17
||B Waldow 5
||M Dellavedova 6
||T Haws 21
||B Davies 7
||M Carlino 4
Saint Mary's squared off with Brigham Young on Wednesday, January 16th and won by a slim margin against the Cougars 70-69 in conference play. Matthew Dellavedova played well for the Gaels and put up 18 points and eight assists. Stephen Holt was active from three-point range, going 5 for 9 on the way to a team-high 22 points. Tyler Haws got a game-high 23 points and seven rebounds for the Cougars. Next up for Saint Mary's (14-4, 3-1 West Coast) is Portland (8-10, 1-2 West Coast) on Saturday, January 19th on the road.
Saint Mary's Game Notes
- The last time SMC started the season 14-4 was 2004.
- SMC beat the spread by 6.5 points. That makes the 8th time this season the Gaels have beaten the spread.
- The Gaels have won 2 close games this season (a win by 5 or fewer points). Since 2007, Saint Mary's has won 18 close games.
- The Gaels have won 100% of the time this season (6-0) after recording 6 or more steals.
- Saint Mary's has won 88% of the time this season (7-1) after committing 10 or fewer turnovers.
- Saint Mary's has won 82% of the time this season (9-2) when its three-point percentage has been 40.0% or better.
- SMC has won 100% of the time this season (5-0) when opponents record 9 or fewer free throws made.
- This season Saint Mary's has won 100% of the time (8-0) when Matthew Dellavedova has 18 points or more, 100% of the time (7-0) when James Walker III has 5 field goals made or more, and 78% of the time (7-2) when Mitchell Young has 7 rebounds or more.
- The Gaels have recorded more rebounds than their opponents for the past 13 games.
- This is the 3rd win of the season where the Gaels came back after being down at halftime.
- Stephen Holt accounted for 31.4% of the team's points.
- Stephen Holt has led the team in scoring in 5 out of 18 games this season.
- James Walker III has led the team in rebounding in 3 out of 18 games this season.
- This marks the 5th 20-point game of Stephen Holt's career.
- Stephen Holt has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- Stephen Holt had a career high with 5 three-pointers.
- Matthew Dellavedova has 4 straight double-digit point games.
Brigham Young Game Notes
- Brigham Young lost and did not cover the spread.
- Tyler Haws accounted for 33.3% of the team's points.
- Tyler Haws has led the team in scoring 10 times in 19 games this season.
- This marks the 17th 20-point game of Tyler Haws's career.
- Tyler Haws has 6 straight 20+ point games.
- Matt Carlino has 5 straight double-digit point games.
- Brock Zylstra set career highs with a 100% field goal percentage and a 100% three-point percentage.
- Brandon Davies has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the 2nd foul out of the season for Brandon Davies.
|B+||J. Walker III||27||13||7||0||2||0||2|