|Gonzaga||K Olynyk 18.1||E Harris 6.8||K Pangos 3.6|
|Portland||R Nicholas 13.4||R Nicholas 9.8||D Rodgers 2.4|
On Thursday, No. 8 Gonzaga travels to Chiles Center to take on Portland. Tip-off is at 10:00 EST and you can catch it on ROOT-NW. The Bulldogs are 8-0 against the Pilots over the last four years. The last time they met (1/26/2012) they won 74-62.
Portland is in 5th place in the West Coast and Gonzaga is in 1st place.
In an 83-78 triumph over Saint Mary's on January 10th, Kelly Olynyk put up 31 points and 8 rebounds for the Bulldogs. With 18.1 points per game and 0.8 blocks per game, he has team-best marks in both categories. For the Pilots, Ryan Nicholas finished with 17 points and 13 rebounds in the 68-64 win over Loyola Marymount on January 12th. He leads the team in points with 13.4 per game and rebounds with 9.8 per game.
Digging into season numbers, Gonzaga has the advantage in two key categories. First, in scoring, the Bulldogs have an edge over the Pilots, 80 points per game to 61 points per game. In addition, Gonzaga has an advantage in field goal percentage, 51% to 41%.
- We make our fans proud. Gonzaga has a better record at home than Portland this season (7-1 vs 6-2).
- We just win. Gonzaga has more wins over the last 5 years than Portland (144 vs 83).
- You get an A for effort, but Gonzaga has emerged victorious against Portland the last 18 times they've played.
- Kids want to come here. Since 1998 Gonzaga has recruited more Top 50 high school players than Portland (1 vs 0).
- Keep filling up on cupcakes. Gonzaga has a stronger schedule than Portland this season (SOS Rank: #18 vs #180).
- Kevin Pangos is ranked 4th in the West Coast in three-pointers, 10th in the West Coast in assists, and 5th in the West Coast in steals.
- Elias Harris is ranked 6th in the West Coast in rebounds.
- Gonzaga has a more potent offense, scoring more points (80.9 per game vs 63.1 per game) than Portland this season.
- Gonzaga has a much lower out-of-state cost per year according to Kiplinger than Portland ($40,345 vs $43,706).
- Gonzaga is bigger. The average weight of the top 8 players on Gonzaga is 213 lbs compared to 203 lbs for Portland.
- People just expect us to beat you. Gonzaga has been the favorite 26 out of the last 26 times.
|C||Guy Landry Edi||14||5||3||0||0||0||1|
|C-||T. van der Mars||21||7||5||1||0||1||1|