West Virginia 67
(8-8, 2-6 away)
Iowa State 69
(12-4, 11-0 home)
Venue: James H. Hilton Coliseum
9:00PM ET / 6:00PM PT, January 16, 2013
||J Staten 10
||A Murray 7
||J Staten 3
||W Clyburn 14
||M Ejim 9
||K Lucious 5
On Wednesday, January 16th, West Virginia took on Iowa State and suffered a close loss to the Cyclones 69-67 in conference play. The Mountaineers got a career-high 20 points and five rebounds from Jabarie Hinds. Eron Harris had a season-high 17 points and added five rebounds. Melvin Ejim registered a double-double for the Cyclones with a team-high 16 points and 13 rebounds. The next game will be on Saturday, January 19th when West Virginia (8-8, 1-3 Big 12) travels to Purdue (9-8, 3-2 Big Ten).
West Virginia Game Notes
- WVU beat the spread by 7.5 points. That makes the 4th time this season the Mountaineers have beaten the spread.
- The Mountaineers have been unlucky 4 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, West Virginia has lost 27 close games.
- West Virginia has lost 100% of the time this season (0-3) after recording 8 or fewer free throws made.
- West Virginia has lost 75% of the time this season (1-3) after committing 15 or more turnovers.
- When the opposition records 15 or more free throws made this season, West Virginia has lost 83% of the time (1-5).
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 41.8% or better this season, West Virginia has lost 80% of the time (2-8).
- WVU set a season low for free throws made.
- Jabarie Hinds recorded a team season high in field goals attempted with 22.
- The top two scorers (Jabarie Hinds and Eron Harris) accounted for 55.2% of the points.
- Kevin Noreen has led the team in rebounding in 4 out of 16 games this season.
- This marks the 1st 20-point game of Jabarie Hinds's career.
- Jabarie Hinds has 4 straight double-digit point games.
- Jabarie Hinds had career highs with 20 points and 8 field goals made.
- Kevin Noreen recorded the 3rd double-digit rebound game of his career.
Iowa State Game Notes
- Iowa State won, but did not cover the spread.
- The top two scorers (Melvin Ejim and Korie Lucious) accounted for 44.9% of the points.
- Melvin Ejim accounted for 37.1% of the team's rebounds.
- Melvin Ejim has led the team in scoring 3 times and in rebounding 11 times in 16 games this season.
- Korie Lucious has 5 straight double-digit point games.
- Melvin Ejim recorded the 22nd double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Melvin Ejim has grabbed double-digit rebounds in 3 straight games.
- This was the 3rd foul out of the season for Melvin Ejim.
- Melvin Ejim recorded a double-double. It was his 7th this season and 14th of his career.
- Melvin Ejim set career highs with 3 three-pointers and 6 offensive rebounds.
- Will Clyburn has 4 straight double-digit point games.