|Valparaiso||R Broekhoff 17.0||R Broekhoff 8.3||E Buggs 3.4|
|Detroit||R McCallum 19.1||N Minnerath 5.9||R McCallum 4.5|
On Thursday, Valparaiso heads to Calihan Hall to take on Detroit. Tip-off is at 7:00 EST and you can catch it on ESPNU. The Crusaders are 7-4 against the Titans over the last four years. They fell 70-50 on 3/6/2012, the last time they met.
Valparaiso is currently tied with Detroit in the Horizon in 2nd place.
The 26 points and 10 rebounds by Ryan Broekhoff helped the Crusaders to a 76-52 cakewalk over Milwaukee on January 12th. He leads the team in points with 17.0 per game, rebounds with 8.3 per game, and blocks with 0.6 per game. For the Titans, Ray McCallum put up 22 points in the 74-62 loss to Cleveland State on January 12th. He contributes a team-leading 19.1 points per game, 4.5 assists per game, and 1.7 steals per game.
In reviewing statistical differences between the teams, Detroit appears to have an edge in one significant area, scoring, where the Titans have the upper hand over the Crusaders, 77 points per game to 68 points per game. One category in which Detroit is especially proficient is turnover percentage at 16.1, ranking 1st in their conference (and 13th nationally).
- The Valparaiso three-point leader (Ryan Broekhoff) has more three-pointers than the Detroit three-point leader (Jason Calliste).
- We just win. Valparaiso has more wins over the last 5 years than Detroit (101 vs 81).
- At least you keep showing up. Valparaiso has an average margin of victory of 8 over Detroit in 9 wins since 1990.
- Valparaiso is better under pressure, and has defeated Detroit in 4 out of the last 5 games decided by 5 points or fewer.
- Valparaiso allows fewer rebounds (27.8 allowed per game vs 34.0 allowed per game) than Detroit this season.
- Ryan Broekhoff is ranked 4th in the Horizon in points, 1st in the Horizon in rebounds, 3rd in the Horizon in three-pointers, and 10th in the Horizon in steals.
- Valparaiso has a better scoring defense (59.3 allowed per game vs 70.7 allowed per game) than Detroit this season.
- Erik Buggs is ranked 7th in the Horizon in assists and 10th in the Horizon in steals.
- Valparaiso does a better job contesting shots (40.1% allowed vs 46.9% allowed) than Detroit this season.
- Valparaiso players are more experienced than Detroit players (14,418 minutes played vs 10,367 minutes played).
|C+||Kevin Van Wijk||23||12||5||1||1||0||2|
|C||J. Howard Jr.||28||11||3||1||1||0||1|
|D||G. Dos Santos||5||2||1||0||0||0||1|