Eastern Illinois vs. Murray State: Full Game Preview
|Eastern Illinois||J Piper 10.1||S Blanford 5.3||A Akers 4.0|
|Murray State||I Canaan 21.9||E Daniel 10.8||I Canaan 3.9|
On Thursday, Murray State hosts Eastern Illinois at CFSB Center. Tip-off is at 8:00 EST. The Racers are 8-1 against the Panthers over the last four years. They won 73-58 on 1/28/2012 the last time they played.
Murray State is in 4th place in the conference, Eastern Illinois is in 12th place.
In a 71-68 win over Austin Peay on January 12th, Isaiah Canaan put up 26 points for the Racers. He paces the team in points per game with 21.9, and assists per game with 3.9. The Panthers were defeated by Jacksonville State 61-55 on January 12th despite 10 points and 7 rebounds from Sherman Blanford. He is averaging 9.7 points per game in addition to a team-best 5.3 rebounds per game.
Murray State has a statistical advantage over Eastern Illinois in two key categories. With the edge in rebounding (37 per game to 27 per game), the Racers should find themselves in a good position on offense. In addition, Murray State has an advantage in scoring, 74 points per game to 56 points per game.
Eastern Illinois StatSmack
- The Murray State blocks leader (Ed Daniel) has more blocks than the Eastern Illinois blocks leader (Josh Piper).
- Murray State is a better free-throw-shooting team (68.7% vs 60.9%) than Eastern Illinois this season.
- Keep filling up on cupcakes. Murray State has a stronger schedule than Eastern Illinois this season (SOS Rank: #42 vs #252).
- You get an A for effort, but Murray State has emerged victorious against Eastern Illinois the last 3 times they've played.
- Murray State does a better job contesting shots (40.3% allowed vs 47.7% allowed) than Eastern Illinois this season.
- Murray State can actually jump, with more rebounds (37.1 per game vs 27.9 per game) than Eastern Illinois this season.
- The Murray State three-point leader (Isaiah Canaan) has more three-pointers than the Eastern Illinois three-point leader (Josh Piper).
- It must sting. Murray State has blown out Eastern Illinois by 20 points or more on 5 occasions since 1996.
- Murray State has a significantly better overall winning percentage over the last 10 years (0.725 to 0.350).
- Murray State has a more potent offense, scoring more points (75.5 per game vs 56.3 per game) than Eastern Illinois this season.