Northwestern vs. Illinois: Full Game Preview
|Northwestern||R Hearn 13.7||J Swopshire 5.9||D Sobolewski 4.5|
|Illinois||B Paul 18.1||B Paul 4.9||T Abrams 3.2|
No. 23 Illinois welcomes Northwestern to Assembly Hall (IL) on Thursday. The game tips off at 8:15 EST and you can see it on Big Ten Network. The Fighting Illini are 4-3 against the Wildcats over the last four years. They lost 74-70 the last time they played (2/5/2012).
Both teams share 8th place in the Big Ten.
In spite of 16 points from D.J. Richardson, the Fighting Illini came up short 74-51 against Wisconsin on January 12th. He is averaging 11.1 points per game while also contributing a team-high 1.7 steals per game. The Wildcats were defeated by Iowa 70-50 on January 13th despite 14 points and 5 assists from Dave Sobolewski. He averages 11.5 points per game in addition to a team-best 4.5 assists per game.
Illinois has a statistical advantage over Northwestern in one significant category, scoring, where the Fighting Illini have an edge over the Wildcats, 73 points per game to 65 points per game.
- D.J. Richardson is ranked 4th in the Big Ten in three-pointers and 9th in the Big Ten in steals.
- We have a history of cultivating talent. Over the past 10 years, Illinois has had more players drafted by the NBA than Northwestern (6 vs 0).
- Even computers respect Illinois more. We have a better RPI this season than Northwestern (RPI: #13 vs #107).
- Illinois has more Final Four appearances over the last 10 years than Northwestern (1 vs 0).
- Diaper Dandies love us. Illinois has recruited more McDonald's All-Americans out of high school than Northwestern (13 vs 1).
- At least you keep showing up. Illinois has an average margin of victory of 17 over Northwestern in 53 wins since 1980.
- The Illinois scoring leader (Brandon Paul) has more points than the Northwestern scoring leader (Reggie Hearn).
- Illinois players are more experienced than Northwestern players (13,947 minutes played vs 12,622 minutes played).
- The Illinois steals leader (Tracy Abrams) has more steals than the Northwestern steals leader (Reggie Hearn).
- Tracy Abrams is ranked 8th in the Big Ten in steals.
|D||J. Montgomery III||4||1||0||0||0||0||0|