Southern Utah vs. Montana: Full Game Preview
|Southern Utah||J Stevenett 15.7||J Stevenett 6.3||D Heuir 2.4|
|Montana||M Ward 15.3||K Jamar 6.0||W Cherry 5.3|
Montana welcomes Southern Utah to Dahlberg Arena on Thursday. The game tips off at 9:00 EST. The Grizzlies have not played the Thunderbirds since the 2004-05 season, when they won 69-57.
Southern Utah is in 3rd place in the Big Sky and will be trying to close the gap with Montana, who is currently in 1st place.
In their last outing, behind 26 points and 6 assists from Kareem Jamar, the Grizzlies defeated Northern Colorado 85-77 on January 12th. He leads the team in rebounds with 6.0 per game and blocks with 0.9 per game. For the Thunderbirds, Jackson Stevenett put up 12 points and 8 rebounds in the 54-53 loss to Idaho State on January 12th. With 15.7 points per game and 6.3 rebounds per game, he has team-best marks in both categories.
Montana appears to have a key statistical advantage over Southern Utah in one area, turnovers, where the Grizzlies have an edge over the Thunderbirds, 11 per game to 17 per game. Southern Utah ranks 2nd in their conference in defensive rebounding percentage at 72.7, which also places them 38th in the country.
Southern Utah StatSmack
- You'll do better on next semester's exams, right? Montana currently has a higher Academic Progress Rate (960 to 907) than Southern Utah, per the NCAA.
- The Montana assist leader (Kareem Jamar) has more assists than the Southern Utah assist leader (Damon Heuir).
- Montana takes less vacation, with more NCAA Tournament appearances over the last 10 years than Southern Utah (4 vs 0).
- We just win. Montana has more wins over the last 5 years than Southern Utah (105 vs 58).
- Montana is better at defending the three (35.8% allowed vs 39.4% allowed) than Southern Utah this season.
- Mathias Ward is ranked 6th in the Big Sky in points.
- Montana has a significantly better overall winning percentage over the last 5 years (0.674 to 0.356).
- Montana waxed Southern Utah by 12 points the last time they played (Dec 02, 2004).
- Montana is a better three-point shooting team (40.7% vs 27.2%) than Southern Utah this season.
- At least you keep showing up. Montana has an average margin of victory of 21 over Southern Utah in 5 wins since 1982.
- Keep filling up on cupcakes. Montana has a stronger schedule than Southern Utah this season (SOS Rank: #127 vs #283).