|Nicholls State||F Hunter 16.8||F Hunter 7.8||D Thomas 3.5|
|Northwestern State||D Hicks 14.5||D Hicks 6.9||J West 4.9|
On Thursday, Nicholls State heads to Prather Coliseum to take on Northwestern State. Tip-off occurs at 8:30 EST and you can catch it on ESPN3.com. The Colonels are 4-4 against the Demons over the last four years. They lost 92-61 the last time they played (2/29/2012).
Nicholls State is in 6th place in the conference, Northwestern State is in 2nd place.
In spite of 22 points and 13 rebounds from Fred Hunter, the Colonels came up short 70-65 against Southeastern Louisiana on January 12th. He contributes a team-leading 16.8 points per game, 7.8 rebounds per game, and 1.6 steals per game. For the Demons, James Hulbin put up 17 points and 6 rebounds in the 100-88 win over Central Arkansas on January 12th. He averages 11.7 points per game in addition to a team-best 1.3 blocks per game.
Northwestern State has an edge in two key statistical categories. The Demons have an advantage over the Colonels when it comes to rebounding, 42 per game to 30 per game. Northwestern State also has an advantage in scoring, 84 points per game to 64 points per game.
Northwestern State StatSmack
- Nicholls State is a better three-point shooting team (32.3% vs 29.0%) than Northwestern State this season.
- The Nicholls State scoring leader (Fred Hunter) has more points than the Northwestern State scoring leader (DeQuan Hicks).
- Maybe someday you'll play some real competition. Nicholls State has a stronger schedule (including future opponents) than Northwestern State this season (Projected SOS Rank: #246 vs #257).
- Nicholls State allows fewer rebounds (35.9 allowed per game vs 40.7 allowed per game) than Northwestern State this season.
- At least you keep showing up. Nicholls State has an average margin of victory of 9 over Northwestern State in 29 wins since 1980.
- Nicholls State players are more experienced than Northwestern State players (9,118 minutes played vs 8,960 minutes played).
- T.J. Carpenter is ranked 4th in the Southland in three-pointers.
- Nicholls State is taller. The average height of the top 8 players on Nicholls State is 76.5 inches compared to 75.2 inches for Northwestern State.
- Fred Hunter is ranked 6th in the Southland in points.