Notre Dame 63
(14-3, 2-2 away)
St John's 67
(10-7, 8-4 home)
Venue: Madison Square Garden
7:00PM ET / 4:00PM PT, January 15, 2013
||E Atkins 16
||J Cooley 10
||E Atkins 6
||D Harrison 19
||J Sampson 6
||P Greene IV 2
St. John's upset No. 20 Notre Dame 67-63 in Big East action on Tuesday, January 15th. The Red Storm now have a record of 2-2 versus AP-Ranked teams this season. The Red Storm were led by Sir`Dominic Pointer, who got eight points plus two rebounds. JaKarr Sampson also contributed, scoring a team-high 17 points and adding four rebounds. Eric Atkins finished with a season-high 21 points (6 Stl 4 Ast) on 78% shooting for the Fighting Irish. St. John's (10-7, 2-3 Big East) gets DePaul (8-6, 1-2 Big East) on the road on Saturday, January 19th.
St. John's Game Notes
- St. John's started 10-7 during the 2008, 2006, and 2005 seasons (since 1996).
- SJU beat the spread by 10.0 points. That makes the 4th time this season the Red Storm have beaten the spread.
- The Red Storm have won 3 close games this season (a win by 5 or fewer points). Since 2007, St. John's has won 27 close games.
- Prior to this game, SJU played 47 Top 25 opponents in the last 5 seasons with a record of 9-38.
- The Red Storm have won 89% of the time this season (8-1) after recording 9 or more blocks.
- St. John's has won 86% of the time this season (6-1) after committing 10 or fewer turnovers.
- SJU has won 89% of the time this season (8-1) when opponents record 12 or fewer assists.
- This season St. John's has won 80% of the time (4-1) when Amir Garrett has 11 points or more, 80% of the time (8-2) when JaKarr Sampson plays 31 minutes or more, and 75% of the time (6-2) when D`Angelo Harrison has 5 rebounds or more.
- The Red Storm have recorded more blocks than their opponents for the past 8 games.
- The top two scorers (JaKarr Sampson and Phil Greene IV) accounted for 44.7% of the points.
- JaKarr Sampson has led the team in scoring in 5 out of 17 games this season.
- JaKarr Sampson has 4 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the 3rd foul out of the season for Sir`Dominic Pointer.
Notre Dame Game Notes
- Notre Dame lost and did not cover the spread.
- The Fighting Irish have lost 2 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Notre Dame has lost 18 close games.
- Eric Atkins recorded a team season high in steals with 6.
- Eric Atkins accounted for 33.3% of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Scott Martin and Jack Cooley) accounted for 40.6% of the rebounds.
- Eric Atkins has led the team in scoring 4 times in 17 games this season.
- Scott Martin has led the team in rebounding 3 times in 17 games this season.
- This marks the 4th 20-point game of Eric Atkins's career.
- Eric Atkins has 5 straight double-digit point games.
- Eric Atkins set a career high with 6 steals.
- Jerian Grant has 6 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the 1st foul out of the season for Cameron Biedscheid.
- Jack Cooley has 12 straight double-digit point games.
|B||Phil Greene IV||36||13||4||2||0||0||1|