On Tuesday, January 15th, No. 20 Notre Dame lost in a stunner to St. John's 67-63 in conference play. The Fighting Irish got a season-high 21 points (6 Stl 4 Ast) from Eric Atkins on 78% shooting in minutes. Tom Knight scored six points and added three rebounds. For the Red Storm, Sir`Dominic Pointer finished with eight points and two rebounds. The next game will be on Saturday, January 19th when Notre Dame (14-3, 2-2 Big East) welcomes Rutgers (11-4, 2-2 Big East).
Notre Dame Game Notes
- Notre Dame started 14-3 during the 2010, 2009, and 2002 seasons (since 1996).
- The Fighting Irish have been unlucky 2 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Notre Dame has lost 18 close games.
- The Fighting Irish have lost 75% of the time this season (1-3) after having a field goal percentage of 46.2% or worse.
- When the opposition records 26 or more field goals made this season, Notre Dame has lost 75% of the time (1-3).
- ND set season lows for assists, three-pointers, and three-point percentage.
- Notre Dame has recorded fewer blocks than their opponents for the past 4 games.
- Eric Atkins recorded a team season high in steals with 6.
- Eric Atkins accounted for 33.3% of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Scott Martin and Jack Cooley) accounted for 40.6% of the rebounds.
- Eric Atkins has led the team in scoring in 4 out of 17 games this season.
- Scott Martin has led the team in rebounding in 3 out of 17 games this season.
- This marks the 4th 20-point game of Eric Atkins's career.
- Eric Atkins has 5 straight double-digit point games.
- Eric Atkins had a career high with 6 steals.
- Jerian Grant has 6 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the 1st foul out of the season for Cameron Biedscheid.
- Jack Cooley has 12 straight double-digit point games.
St. John's Game Notes
- The Red Storm won this one, but have lost 3 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, St. John's has lost 16 close games.
- The top two scorers (JaKarr Sampson and Phil Greene IV) accounted for 44.7% of the points.
- JaKarr Sampson has led the team in scoring 5 times in 17 games this season.
- JaKarr Sampson has 4 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the 3rd foul out of the season for Sir`Dominic Pointer.