FA Cup Third Round Replay Roundup

Ian Rodgers@irodgers66World Football Staff WriterJanuary 15, 2013

FA Cup Third Round Replay Roundup

0 of 6

    Brentford were the big winners on a night of FA Cup third-round replay drama.

    The Griffin Park side defeated Southend United of League Two 2-1 to set up a lucrative home clash with holders Chelsea in the fourth round.

    Bolton Wanderers of the Championship claimed the biggest scalp in Tuesday night's replays when two goals from Marvin Sordell knocked top-flight Sunderland out of the competition at the Stadium of Light.

    Fulham and Stoke City needed extra-time to see off the challenge of Championship clubs Blackpool and Crystal Palace respectively.

    Wigan Athletic needed a defensive lapse to claim victory at League One Bournemouth.

    Queens Park Rangers shrugged off their poor Premier League form to register a win at West Bromwich Albion.

    Leeds United came from behind to win at Birmingham City and there were also wins for Hull City and MK Dons.

Bournemouth 0 Wigan Athletic 1

1 of 6

    An unfortunate error by Bournemouth midfielder Harry Arter gave Wigan Athletic victory at Dean Court.

    The Premier League side opened the scoring in the 18th minute when Arter's poor pass gifted the ball to Mauro Boselli, who struck it beautifully into the top corner of the net from 25 yards.

    However, the Cherries worked hard for an equaliser for the rest of the game with Marc Pugh forcing Wigan goalkeeper Ali Al-Habsi into a brilliant save on to his crossbar.

    But Roberto Martinez's side held on to claim a fourth-round trip to non-league Macclesfield Town.

Stoke City 4 Crystal Palace 1 (after Extra-Time)

2 of 6

    Jon Walters put a nightmare weekend behind him as he scored twice to help Stoke City overcome the challenge of Crystal Palace in extra-time at the Britannia Stadium.

    A shock result had looked on the cards when Palace substitute Glenn Murray cancelled out Kenwyne Jones' 69th-minute opener with his penalty three minutes from the end of normal time.

    In the fifth minute of extra-time, Walters, who scored two own goals and missed a penalty against Chelsea on Saturday, put Stoke ahead with a header before making it 3-1 15 minutes later when he connected with a Jones cross.

    Cameron Jerome added the fourth for Stoke in the 120th minute when he rounded Palace goalkeeper Lewis Price before hitting home.

    Palace had missed a great opportunity to take the lead in the 30th minute when Wilfried Zaha was brought down by Ryan Shawcross inside the area. Jermaine Easter stepped up for the penalty but Stoke goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen got a touch to the ball to turn it around for a corner.

    Stoke will now play host to Manchester City in the fourth round in a repeat of the 2011 FA Cup final.

Sunderland 0 Bolton Wanderers 2

3 of 6

    Marvin Sordell scored twice as Bolton Wanderers claimed the scalp of Premier League side Sunderland at the Stadium of Light.

    Despite dominating the game for long periods, the Black Cats could not find a way past Bolton goalkeeper Andy Lonergan and paid a heavy price.

    Against the run of play, Bolton took the lead on the hour mark when Jack Colback brought down Darren Pratley inside the area. Sordell stepped up for the penalty and blasted it past Sunderland goalkeeper Simon Mignolet.

    In the 73rd minute, Bolton doubled their lead with Sordell adding to his tally for the evening. Tyrone Mears was the architect, pulling the ball back for Sordell to fire home.

Blackpool 1 Fulham 2 (after Extra-Time)

4 of 6

    Fulham needed a last-gasp equalizer to spare their blushes at Blackpool before beating the Championship club in extra-time.

    Ten minutes from the end of the game, the impressive hosts took the lead. A poor clearance from Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer fell to Nathan Delfouneso, who struck home to give Blackpool the lead.

    But, in the 90th minute, Kieran Richardson forced the tie into an additional 30 minutes when he fired home the equalizer.

    With five minutes left before a penalty shootout, Fulham defender Brede Hangeland headed home a Damien Duff corner to set up a fourth-round trip to Manchester United or West Ham

West Brom 0 QPR 1

5 of 6

    Queens Park Rangers put aside their poor Premier League form to progress into the FA Cup fourth round with a 1-0 win at high-flying West Bromwich Albion.

    QPR stunned their hosts when they opened the scoring with 15 minutes left in the tie. Alejandro Faurlin swung over a corner and striker Jay Bothroyd rose highest to head home for Harry Redknapp's side.

    But the Loftus Road side were made to work hard for their win with goalkeeper Rob Green making a string of fine saves, most notably from Romelu Lukaku in the first half.

    QPR will now welcome MK Dons to West London in the fourth round.

Other FA Cup Third-Round Replays

6 of 6

    Brentford 2 Southend United 1

    Clayton Donaldson gave Brentford a lucrative London derby against Chelsea in the FA Cup fourth round with his winner against plucky Southend United at Griffin Park.

    Paul Hayes had opened the scoring for Brentford but League Two Southend rallied and claimed an equalizer through Barry Corr.

    Former Brentford goalkeeper Paul Smith was inspired form against his old club and saved a penalty from Harry Forrester among a series of great saves.

    But former Hibernian and York striker Donaldson needed a deflection to beat Smith for the 76th-minute winner.

    Birmingham City 1 Leeds United 2

    El-Hadji Diouf rolled back the years on his 32nd birthday to guide Leeds United toward a fourth-round date with Tottenham at Elland Road 

    Wade Elliott had given Birmingham City a first-half lead when he connected with Nathan Redmond's cross.

    But Diouf then set up Ross McCormack to equalize in the 70th minute before hitting the winner himself from the penalty spot six minutes later after Paul Robinson handled inside the area.

    Leyton Orient 1 Hull City 2 (after extra-time)

    Hull City needed extra-time to see off the challenge of Leyton Orient at the Matchroom Stadium in East London.

    Hull had taken the lead in the 41st minute when Nick Proschwitz headed home Liam Rosenior's cross from the right.

    The visitors hung on until three minutes from the end of normal time when Dean Cox found the net from Moses Odubajo's flighted ball.

    However, with five minutes left in extra-time, Tom Cairney hit the winner for Steve Bruce's side, who will now play host to fellow Championship side Barnsley in the fourth round.

    MK Dons 2 Sheffield Wednesday 0

    MK Dons reached the FA Cup fourth round for the first time in their short history with a 2-0 win over Championship strugglers Sheffield Wednesday at stadium:mk.

    Shaun Williams opened the scoring for the Dons from the penalty spot in the 28th minute after Lewis Buxton pulled back Dean Bowditch in the area.

    Bowditch sealed a fourth-round tie at Queens Park Rangers when his 75th-minute free-kick somehow bounced past Wednesday goalkeeper Stephen Bywater.