Mississippi Valley State 54
(1-14, 0-11 away)
Southern University 88
(12-6, 8-0 home)
Venue: F.G. Clark Center
9:00PM ET / 6:00PM PT, January 14, 2013
|Mississippi Valley State
|Mississippi Valley State
||D Usher 17
||M Smith 6
||D Marshall 2
||M Miller 17
||B Moore 7
||C Hyder 3
In a game where they shot 61% from the floor, Southern University waxed Mississippi Valley State 88-54 in SWAC action. Macolm Miller picked up a double-double for the Jaguars with a game-high 28 points and 10 rebounds. He was 5 for 6 from three-point range. Javan Mitchell also had an excellent outing, scoring a season-high 17 points and adding four rebounds. For the Delta Devils, Davon Usher got a team-high 17 points and five rebounds. Southern University (12-6, 6-0 SWAC) goes to Alabama State (5-13, 3-2 SWAC) on Saturday, January 19th.
Southern University Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 5:54 left to go.
- The win over Mississippi Valley State extended the Southern University winning streak to 8 games.
- This was the 7th blowout win this season (a win by 20 or more points). Over the past 5 seasons, Southern University has been on the winning end of 10 blowout games.
- The Jaguars have won 100% of the time this season (6-0) after recording 39 or more rebounds.
- Southern University has won 100% of the time this season (9-0) when opponents record 54 or fewer total points.
- Southern University has won 86% of the time this season (6-1) after holding an opponent to under 32.1% field goal percentage.
- This season Southern University has won 100% of the time (5-0) when Brandon Moore plays 33 minutes or more, 100% of the time (4-0) when Macolm Miller has 5 three-pointers or more, and 78% of the time (7-2) when Derick Beltran has 5 rebounds or more.
- The Jaguars set a season high for three-point percentage.
- The last time Southern University had a three-point percentage of 58.8% or higher was Jan 09, 2012 against Jackson State.
- The Jaguars have outshot their opponents in three-point percentage for the past 5 games.
- This is the 7th game at home this season--Southern University has a 25.9 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Macolm Miller accounted for 31.8% of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Macolm Miller and Brandon Moore) accounted for 41.0% of the rebounds.
- Macolm Miller has led the team in scoring 10 times and in rebounding 6 times in 18 games this season.
- Brandon Moore had a career high with 11 points.
- Derick Beltran has 4 straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the 5th 20-point game of Macolm Miller's career.
- Macolm Miller has 4 straight 20+ point games.
- Macolm Miller recorded a double-double. It was the 1st of his career.
- Yondarius Johnson has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- Javan Mitchell has 4 straight double-digit point games.
Mississippi Valley State Game Notes
- This was the 7th blowout loss this season (a loss by 20 or more points). Over the past 5 seasons, MVSU has been on the losing end of 44 blowout games.
- This loss extended the Delta Devils losing streak to 3 games.
- Davon Usher accounted for 31.4% of the team's points.
- Matt Smith accounted for 32.0% of the team's rebounds.
- The bench recorded more rebounds (15) than the starters (8).
- The bench recorded more points (30) than the starters (24).
- Davon Usher has led the team in scoring 11 times in 15 games this season.
- Matt Smith has led the team in rebounding 9 times in 15 games this season.
- Davon Usher has 5 straight double-digit point games.