Savannah State 78
(8-9, 3-7 away)
Morgan State 70
(4-9, 1-3 home)
Venue: Hill Field House
7:30PM ET / 4:30PM PT, January 14, 2013
||R Hassan 12
||A Louis 7
||P Blackman 3
||D Jackson 14
||A Hubbard 6
||J Black 3
Morgan State faced off with Savannah State on Monday, January 14th and was beaten at home by the Tigers 78-70 in double overtime. The Bears got a good effort from Justin Black, who put up a team-high 18 points and seven assists. Ian Chiles had 14 points and added three rebounds. For the Tigers, Preston Blackman got a mind-blowing 41 points, including 8-of-15 shooting from three-point range. The Bears are on a five-game losing streak. Morgan State (4-9, 1-1 MEAC) travels to Hampton (5-10, 1-0 MEAC) on Saturday, January 19th.
Morgan State Game Notes
- The last time Morgan State started the season 4-9 was 1998.
- Morgan State has played in 2 overtime games this season. Over the last 5 seasons, the Bears have played in 8 overtime games with a record of 4-4.
- The Bears have been unlucky 3 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Morgan State has lost 33 close games.
- Morgan State has lost 100% of the time this season (0-4) after recording 23 or fewer field goals made.
- When the opposition records 29 or more field goals made this season, Morgan State has lost 100% of the time (0-3).
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 46.8% or better this season, Morgan State has lost 100% of the time (0-3).
- When the opposition records 78 or more total points this season, Morgan State has lost 80% of the time (1-4).
- The Bears set a season high for free throws made.
- The top two scorers (Justin Black and DeWayne Jackson) accounted for 51.4% of the points.
- Justin Black has led the team in scoring in 7 out of 13 games this season.
- Anthony Hubbard has led the team in rebounding in 6 out of 13 games this season.
- Justin Black has 5 straight double-digit point games.
- DeWayne Jackson has 6 straight double-digit point games.
- Ian Chiles has 5 straight double-digit point games.
Savannah State Game Notes
- The Tigers won this one, but have lost 3 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Savannah State has lost 18 close games.
- Preston Blackman recorded a team season high in points with 41, field goals made with 14, three-pointers with 8, field goals attempted with 26, and three pointers attempted with 15.
- Preston Blackman accounted for 52.5% of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Arnold Louis and Rashad Hassan) accounted for 52.5% of the rebounds.
- The bench recorded more rebounds (21) than the starters (15).
- Preston Blackman has led the team in scoring 6 times in 17 games this season.
- Arnold Louis has led the team in rebounding 8 times in 17 games this season.
- This marks the 6th 20-point game of Preston Blackman's career.
- Preston Blackman has 4 straight double-digit point games.
- Preston Blackman set career highs with 41 points, 14 field goals made, and 8 three-pointers.
- Rashad Hassan has 4 straight double-digit point games.
- Arnold Louis recorded the 22nd double-digit rebound game of his career.
- This was the 6th foul out of the season for Jyles Smith.
- Jyles Smith set a career high with 6 offensive rebounds.