In reviewing statistical differences between the teams, Southern University appears to have an edge in two significant areas. One concern is field goal percentage, where the Jaguars hold the advantage over the Delta Devils, 43% to 35%. Southern University also has an advantage in scoring, 67 points per game to 58 points per game. Southern University will hope to exploit their strength in turnover percentage in this matchup. Their mark of 17.7 in this area ranks 1st in the conference and 43rd in the country.
Southern University StatSmack
- The Mississippi Valley State rebounding leader (Matt Smith) has more rebounds than the Southern University rebounding leader (Macolm Miller).
- Mississippi Valley State is better under pressure, and has defeated Southern University in 7 out of the last 12 games decided by 5 points or fewer.
- At least you keep showing up. Mississippi Valley State has an average margin of victory of 8 over Southern University in 33 wins since 1980.
- It must sting. Mississippi Valley State has blown out Southern University by 20 points or more on 3 occasions since 1998.
- You get an A for effort, but Mississippi Valley State has emerged victorious against Southern University the last 7 times they've played.
- Mississippi Valley State has a better overall winning percentage over the last 10 years (0.442 to 0.373).
- The Mississippi Valley State basketball team finishes what they start, with a better graduation rate than Southern University (29% vs 17%).
- We just win. Mississippi Valley State has more wins over the last 5 years than Southern University (67 vs 51).
- You'll do better on next semester's exams, right? Mississippi Valley State currently has a higher Academic Progress Rate (865 to 862) than Southern University, per the NCAA.
- We're so much better than you, we get lazy. Mississippi Valley State has come back to win after being down at half against Southern University 4 times since 2001.
- Keep filling up on cupcakes. Mississippi Valley State has a stronger schedule than Southern University this season (SOS Rank: #7 vs #37).