On Sunday, January 13th, Niagara turned the ball over just five times and narrowly beat Fairfield 67-64 in conference action. The Purple Eagles remain undefeated against Fairfield this season at 2-0. The Purple Eagles got the win with 12 points and four rebounds from T.J. Cline. Antoine Mason had a game-high 17 points and added two rebounds. For the Stags, Maurice Barrow finished with 10 points and nine rebounds. Next up for Niagara (9-8, 5-0 MAAC) is Siena (4-13, 2-4 MAAC) on Thursday, January 17th at home.
Niagara Game Notes
- The last time NU started the season 9-8 was 2002.
- NU beat the spread by 9.0 points. That makes the 6th time this season the Purple Eagles have beaten the spread.
- The Purple Eagles have won 4 close games this season (a win by 5 or fewer points). Since 2007, Niagara has won 29 close games.
- The Purple Eagles have won 80% of the time this season (4-1) after recording 19 or more free throws made.
- NU has won 80% of the time this season (4-1) after holding an opponent to under 27.8% three-point percentage.
- The Purple Eagles have recorded more steals than their opponents for the past 5 games.
- Niagara has turned the ball over less than their opponents for the past 7 games.
- The top two scorers (Antoine Mason and T.J. Cline) accounted for 43.2% of the points.
- Antoine Mason has led the team in scoring in 10 out of 17 games this season.
- Antoine Mason has 17 straight double-digit point games.
- Antoine Mason had career highs with 12 free throws made and 4 steals.
Fairfield Game Notes
- Fairfield lost and did not cover the spread.
- The Stags have lost 3 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Fairfield has lost 26 close games.
- This loss extended the Stags losing streak to 3 games.
- Keith Matthews recorded a team season high in blocks with 4.
- The top two scorers (Justin Jenkins and Derek Needham) accounted for 40.6% of the points.
- The bench recorded more points (36) than the starters (28).