On Sunday, January 13th, No. 15 Ohio State upset No. 2 Michigan 56-53 in conference action. With the win, the Buckeyes improve their record to 1-3 versus AP-Ranked teams this season. Deshaun Thomas guided the Buckeyes and got a game-high 20 points and four rebounds. Amir Williams had six points and added four rebounds. For the Wolverines, Trey Burke got a team-high 15 points and four rebounds. The next game will be on Saturday, January 19th when Ohio State (12-3, 3-1 Big Ten) travels to 22nd-ranked Michigan State (13-3, 2-1 Big Ten).
Ohio State Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 0:03 left to go.
- Ohio State started 13-3 during the 2008, 2006, 1999, and 1998 seasons (since 1996).
- OSU beat the spread by 1.5 points. That makes the 7th time this season the Buckeyes have beaten the spread.
- Prior to this game, OSU played 62 Top 25 opponents in the last 5 seasons with a record of 27-35.
- OSU has won 100% of the time this season (6-0) when opponents record 53 or fewer total points.
- OSU has won 100% of the time this season (9-0) after holding an opponent to under 38.3% field goal percentage.
- This season Ohio State has won 89% of the time (8-1) when Deshaun Thomas has 20 points or more, 71% of the time (5-2) when Lenzelle Smith Jr. plays 30 minutes or more, and 100% of the time (5-0) when Sam Thompson has 4 field goals made or more.
- OSU set a season low for rebounds.
- This is the 11th game at home this season--OSU has a 23.7 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Lenzelle Smith Jr. recorded a team season high in defensive rebounds with 10.
- Deshaun Thomas accounted for 35.7% of the team's points.
- Lenzelle Smith Jr. accounted for 33.3% of the team's rebounds.
- Deshaun Thomas has led the team in scoring in 13 out of 16 games this season.
- Lenzelle Smith Jr. has led the team in rebounding in 5 out of 16 games this season.
- This marks the 21st 20-point game of Deshaun Thomas's career.
- Deshaun Thomas has 4 straight 20+ point games.
- Lenzelle Smith Jr. recorded the 3rd double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Lenzelle Smith Jr. had a career high with 10 defensive rebounds.
Michigan Game Notes
- Michigan lost and did not cover the spread.
- The top two scorers (Trey Burke and Tim Hardaway Jr) accounted for 50.9% of the points.
- Trey Burke has led the team in scoring 9 times in 17 games this season.
- Jordan Morgan has led the team in rebounding 7 times in 17 games this season.
- Tim Hardaway Jr has 4 straight double-digit point games.
- Trey Burke has 17 straight double-digit point games.
- Jordan Morgan set a career high with a 100% field goal percentage.