Penn State 42
(8-8, 1-3 away)
(8-8, 7-5 home)
Venue: Mackey Arena
12:00PM ET / 9:00AM PT, January 13, 2013
||T Frazier 16
||R Travis 7
||D (DJ) Newbill 3
||T Johnson 13
||A Hammons 6
||R Johnson 3
Purdue held Penn State to only 26% from the floor and pounded the Nittany Lions 60-42 in Big Ten play on Sunday, January 13th. The Boilermakers got a double-double out of A.J. Hammons with 12 points and 10 rebounds. Ronnie Johnson also put in a solid effort, scoring a game-high 13 points and adding four rebounds. For the Nittany Lions, Devonte (DJ) Newbill finished with nine points and six rebounds. Purdue (8-8, 2-2 Big Ten) takes on Nebraska (9-7, 0-3 Big Ten) on Wednesday, January 16th on the road.
Purdue Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 2:41 left to go.
- The last time Purdue started the season 8-8 was 2001.
- Purdue beat the spread by 7.0 points. That makes the 5th time this season the Boilermakers have beaten the spread.
- Purdue has won 83% of the time this season (5-1) when its had a field goal percentage of 45.1% or better.
- Purdue has won 80% of the time this season (4-1) when opponents record 3 or fewer three-pointers.
- The Boilermakers set a season high for three-point percentage.
- The last time Purdue had a three-point percentage of 50.0% or higher was Mar 08, 2012 against Nebraska.
- This is the 10th game at home this season--Purdue has a 10.9 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- A.J. Hammons recorded a team season high in blocks with 5.
- The top two scorers (Ronnie Johnson and A.J. Hammons) accounted for 41.6% of the points.
- A.J. Hammons has led the team in rebounding in 5 out of 16 games this season.
- A.J. Hammons recorded the 1st double-digit rebound game of his career.
- A.J. Hammons has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- A.J. Hammons recorded a double-double. It was the 1st of his career.
Penn State Game Notes
- Penn State lost and did not cover the spread.
- This loss extended the Nittany Lions losing streak to 4 games.
- The top two scorers (Brandon Taylor and Devonte (DJ) Newbill) accounted for 47.6% of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Ross Travis and Devonte (DJ) Newbill) accounted for 42.4% of the rebounds.
- Ross Travis has led the team in rebounding 11 times in 16 games this season.
- Sasa Borovnjak set a career high with 4 steals.