Houston Baptist 62
(4-12, 1-8 away)
Utah Valley 83
(9-10, 5-4 home)
Venue: UCCU Center
9:05PM ET / 6:05PM PT, January 12, 2013
||A Bernardi 13
||A Bernardi 5
||M Smith 2
||B Aird 14
||B Aird 8
||N Thompson 4
On Saturday, January 12th, Utah Valley University shot 60% from the floor and punished Houston Baptist 83-62 in Great West action. The Wolverines got the win with a career-high 24 points and three rebounds from Alfonzo Hubbard. Nick Thompson had eight points and added eight assists (7 Reb 3 Stl). For the Huskies, Rob Lewis got a season-high 13 points and three rebounds. The next game will be on Saturday, January 19th when Utah Valley University (9-9, 1-1 Great West) travels to Texas-Pan American (9-10, 1-0 Great West).
Utah Valley University Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 1:11 left to go.
- Utah Valley University started 9-10 during the 2011 and 2009 seasons (since 1996).
- This was the 2nd blowout win this season (a win by 20 or more points). Over the past 5 seasons, UVU has been on the winning end of 29 blowout games.
- The Wolverines have won 100% of the time this season (5-0) after recording 83 or more total points.
- UVU has won 80% of the time this season (4-1) when opponents record 11 or fewer assists.
- This season Utah Valley University has won 90% of the time (9-1) when Ben Aird has 17 points or more, 86% of the time (6-1) when Holton Hunsaker plays 37 minutes or more, and 73% of the time (8-3) when Nick Thompson has 7 rebounds or more.
- The Wolverines set a season high for steals.
- The last time UVU recorded at least 12 steals was Jan 21, 2012 against North Dakota.
- The Wolverines have recorded more assists than their opponents for the past 5 games.
- This is the 7th game at home this season--UVU has a 5.3 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Alfonzo Hubbard recorded a team season high in steals with 5.
- The top two scorers (Alfonzo Hubbard and Ben Aird) accounted for 49.3% of the points.
- Ben Aird accounted for 34.6% of the team's rebounds.
- Alfonzo Hubbard has led the team in scoring in 5 out of 19 games this season.
- Ben Aird has led the team in rebounding in 10 out of 19 games this season.
- This marks the 1st 20-point game of Alfonzo Hubbard's career.
- Alfonzo Hubbard had career highs with 24 points, 10 field goals made, and 5 steals.
- Ben Aird has 3 straight double-digit point games.
Houston Baptist Game Notes
- This was the 4th blowout loss this season (a loss by 20 or more points). Over the past 5 seasons, HBU has been on the losing end of 36 blowout games.
- This loss extended the Huskies losing streak to 6 games.
- The top two scorers (Art Bernardi and Rob Lewis) accounted for 48.3% of the points.
- Art Bernardi has led the team in scoring 8 times and in rebounding 7 times in 16 games this season.