On Saturday, January 12th, Long Beach State took on Hawaii and knocked off the Warriors 76-72 in conference action. The 49ers were led by Peter Pappageorge, who put up 15 points on 60% shooting in 17 minutes. Michael Caffey also had a strong showing, scoring a game-high 18 points and adding six assists. For the Warriors, Brandon Jawato finished with a team-high 16 points on 67% shooting. Long Beach State (8-8, 4-1 Big West) goes to UC Riverside (4-11, 1-2 Big West) on Thursday, January 17th.
Long Beach State Game Notes
- Long Beach State started 8-8 during the 2010, 2005, and 2000 seasons (since 1996).
- The win over Hawaii extended the Long Beach State winning streak to 3 games.
- The 49ers have won 3 close games this season (a win by 5 or fewer points). Since 2007, Long Beach State has won 23 close games.
- The 49ers have won 100% of the time this season (4-0) after recording 76 or more total points.
- Long Beach State has won 83% of the time this season (5-1) when its had a field goal percentage of 46.2% or better.
- LBSU has won 83% of the time this season (5-1) after holding an opponent to under 31.8% three-point percentage.
- LBSU has won 75% of the time this season (6-2) when opponents record 2 or fewer blocks.
- This season Long Beach State has won 100% of the time (4-0) when Michael Caffey has 18 points or more and 80% of the time (4-1) when James Ennis has 4 assists or more.
- The 49ers set a season high for assists.
- The last time LBSU recorded at least 19 assists was Feb 11, 2012 against UC Davis.
- This is the 7th game at home this season--LBSU has a 3.4 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (Michael Caffey and Peter Pappageorge) accounted for 43.4% of the points.
- The top two rebounders (James Ennis and Dan Jennings) accounted for 41.9% of the rebounds.
- Michael Caffey has led the team in scoring in 5 out of 16 games this season.
- James Ennis has led the team in rebounding in 7 out of 16 games this season.
- James Ennis has 16 straight double-digit point games.
- Michael Caffey has 5 straight double-digit point games.
Hawaii Game Notes
- The Warriors have lost 3 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Hawaii has lost 27 close games.
- The top two scorers (Brandon Jawato and Vander Joaquim) accounted for 40.2% of the points.
- Brandon Jawato has led the team in scoring 3 times in 16 games this season.
- Vander Joaquim has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the 1st foul out of the season for Davis Rozitis.