Jacksonville State won on the road versus Eastern Illinois 61-55 in conference play on Saturday, January 12th. The Gamecocks were led by Brian Williams, who put up 16 points plus seven assists. Tarvin Gaines had a game-high 22 points and added five rebounds. Sherman Blanford finished with a team-high 10 points and seven rebounds for the Panthers. Next up for Jacksonville State (12-5, 4-2 OVC) is Tennessee State (9-7, 4-0 OVC) on Thursday, January 17th on the road.
Jacksonville State Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 0:05 left to go.
- The last time JSU started the season 12-5 was 1999.
- JSU beat the spread by 0.5 points. That makes the 6th time this season the Gamecocks have beaten the spread.
- Jacksonville State has won 100% of the time this season (5-0) when its had a field goal percentage of 47.7% or better.
- The Gamecocks have won 100% of the time this season (6-0) after recording 6 or more three-pointers.
- JSU has won 100% of the time this season (6-0) when opponents record 55 or fewer total points.
- JSU has won 90% of the time this season (9-1) after holding an opponent to under 42.6% field goal percentage.
- This season Jacksonville State has won 83% of the time (5-1) when Brian Williams has 16 points or more and 83% of the time (10-2) when Nick Cook has 5 rebounds or more.
- Jacksonville State has recorded fewer rebounds than their opponents for the past 4 games.
- Tarvin Gaines accounted for 36.0% of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Ronnie Boggs and Brian Williams) accounted for 42.8% of the rebounds.
- Tarvin Gaines has led the team in scoring in 5 out of 17 games this season.
- Ronnie Boggs has led the team in rebounding in 10 out of 17 games this season.
- This marks the 3rd 20-point game of Tarvin Gaines's career.
- Tarvin Gaines has 3 straight double-digit point games.
Eastern Illinois Game Notes
- Eastern Illinois lost and did not cover the spread.
- This loss extended the Panthers losing streak to 11 games.
- Sherman Blanford has led the team in scoring 6 times and in rebounding 9 times in 18 games this season.
- Taylor Jones set career highs with a 100% field goal percentage and a 100% three-point percentage.
- Sherman Blanford has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the 1st foul out of the season for Sherman Blanford.