Mississippi Valley State 67
(1-13, 0-10 away)
Alcorn State 72
(6-14, 4-5 home)
Venue: Davey Whitney Complex
6:00PM ET / 3:00PM PT, January 12, 2013
|Mississippi Valley State
|Mississippi Valley State
||D Usher 17
||M Smith 6
||D Marshall 2
||M Baker 19
||I Francis 4
||L Luckett 2
Mississippi Valley State dropped one to Alcorn State 72-67 in conference play on Saturday, January 12th. Davon Usher got 10 points and 10 rebounds for the Delta Devils, earning a double-double. Ervin Thomas also had a solid outing, scoring a season-high four points and adding seven rebounds. For the Braves, Marquiz Baker finished with a game-high 27 points (4 Reb 3 Ast 3 Stl), including 5-of-14 shooting from three-point range. Mississippi Valley State (1-13, 1-3 SWAC) gets Southern University (11-6, 5-0 SWAC) on the road on Monday, January 14th.
Mississippi Valley State Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 0:02 left to go.
- The last time MVSU started the season 1-13 was 2009.
- The Delta Devils have been unlucky 4 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Mississippi Valley State has lost 27 close games.
- The Delta Devils set season highs for blocks and steals.
- Our 5 blocks is the 16th best among all NCAA games this season.
- Our 10 steals is the 19th best among all NCAA games this season.
- Mississippi Valley State has been outshot by their opponents in field goal percentage for the past 5 games.
- Davon Usher recorded a team season high in offensive rebounds with 7.
- Darryl Marshall accounted for 31.3% of the team's points.
- Davon Usher accounted for 32.2% of the team's rebounds.
- The bench recorded more rebounds (16) than the starters (15).
- Davon Usher has led the team in rebounding in 5 out of 14 games this season.
- This marks the 1st 20-point game of Darryl Marshall's career.
- Davon Usher recorded the 2nd double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Davon Usher has 4 straight double-digit point games.
- Davon Usher recorded a double-double. It was the 2nd of his career.
Alcorn State Game Notes
- The Braves won this one, but have lost 2 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Alcorn State has lost 20 close games.
- Marquiz Baker accounted for 37.5% of the team's points.
- Marquiz Baker has led the team in scoring 6 times in 20 games this season.
- This marks the 5th 20-point game of Marquiz Baker's career.
- Marquiz Baker has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the 1st foul out of the season for Ian Francis.
- This was the 3rd foul out of the season for Michael Starks.