Mississippi Valley State 67
(1-13, 0-10 away)
Alcorn State 72
(6-14, 4-5 home)
Venue: Davey Whitney Complex
6:00PM ET / 3:00PM PT, January 12, 2013
|Mississippi Valley State
|Mississippi Valley State
||D Usher 17
||M Smith 6
||D Marshall 2
||M Baker 19
||I Francis 4
||L Luckett 2
Alcorn State defeated Mississippi Valley State 72-67 in SWAC play on Saturday, January 12th. Marquiz Baker had an impressive game for the Braves and put up a game-high 27 points (4 Reb 3 Ast 3 Stl), sinking 5 of 14 from three-point range. LeAntwan Luckett also had a strong showing, scoring 19 points and adding five assists. Davon Usher registered a double-double for the Delta Devils on 10 points and 10 rebounds. Alcorn State (5-14, 3-1 SWAC) hosts Arkansas-Pine Bluff (4-12, 3-1 SWAC) on Monday, January 14th.
Alcorn State Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 0:02 left to go.
- The win over Mississippi Valley State extended the Alcorn State winning streak to 3 games.
- The Braves have won 3 close games this season (a win by 5 or fewer points). Since 2007, Alcorn State has won 16 close games.
- Alcorn State has won 100% of the time this season (5-0) when its had a three-point percentage of 35.3% or better.
- The Braves have outshot their opponents in three-point percentage for the past 5 games.
- This is the 7th game at home this season--Alcorn State has a 3.7 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Marquiz Baker accounted for 37.5% of the team's points.
- Marquiz Baker has led the team in scoring in 6 out of 20 games this season.
- This marks the 5th 20-point game of Marquiz Baker's career.
- Marquiz Baker has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the 1st foul out of the season for Ian Francis.
- This was the 3rd foul out of the season for Michael Starks.
Mississippi Valley State Game Notes
- The Delta Devils have lost 4 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Mississippi Valley State has lost 27 close games.
- Davon Usher recorded a team season high in offensive rebounds with 7.
- Darryl Marshall accounted for 31.3% of the team's points.
- Davon Usher accounted for 32.2% of the team's rebounds.
- The bench recorded more rebounds (16) than the starters (15).
- Davon Usher has led the team in rebounding 5 times in 14 games this season.
- This marks the 1st 20-point game of Darryl Marshall's career.
- Davon Usher recorded the 2nd double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Davon Usher has 4 straight double-digit point games.
- Davon Usher recorded a double-double. It was the 2nd of his career.