On Saturday, January 12th, Southern University outshot Arkansas-Pine Bluff 55%-30% and easily knocked off the Golden Lions 84-50 in SWAC play. This one was all Southern University from the opening tip, as they jumped out to a 33-2 halftime lead and then cruised to victory in the second half. The Jaguars got the win with a season-high 10 points and seven rebounds from Brandon Moore. Macolm Miller picked up his third straight game with 21 points or more, scoring 21 points in 32 minutes. For the Golden Lions, Terrell Kennedy got a team-high 18 points and four rebounds. Southern University (11-6, 5-0 SWAC) gets Mississippi Valley State (1-12, 1-2 SWAC) at home on Monday, January 14th.
Southern University Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 8:10 left to go.
- The win over Arkansas-Pine Bluff extended the Southern University winning streak to 7 games.
- This was the 6th blowout win this season (a win by 20 or more points). Over the past 5 seasons, Southern University has been on the winning end of 9 blowout games.
- The Jaguars have won 100% of the time this season (4-0) after recording 41 or more rebounds.
- Southern University has won 100% of the time this season (7-0) when opponents record 50 or fewer total points.
- Southern University has won 100% of the time this season (4-0) after holding an opponent to under 30.4% field goal percentage.
- This season Southern University has won 75% of the time (6-2) when Javan Mitchell has 11 points or more, 100% of the time (5-0) when Macolm Miller has 8 field goals made or more, and 78% of the time (7-2) when Brandon Moore has 7 rebounds or more.
- The Jaguars have outshot their opponents in three-point percentage for the past 4 games.
- This is the 6th game at home this season--Southern University has a 24.5 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Derick Beltran recorded a team season high in three pointers attempted with 13.
- The top two scorers (Derick Beltran and Macolm Miller) accounted for 51.1% of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Javan Mitchell and Macolm Miller) accounted for 46.3% of the rebounds.
- Derick Beltran has led the team in scoring in 7 out of 17 games this season.
- Javan Mitchell has led the team in rebounding in 4 out of 17 games this season.
- Javan Mitchell recorded the 1st double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Javan Mitchell has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- Javan Mitchell recorded a double-double. It was the 1st of his career.
- This marks the 11th 20-point game of Derick Beltran's career.
- Derick Beltran has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the 4th 20-point game of Macolm Miller's career.
- Macolm Miller has 3 straight 20+ point games.
- Brandon Moore had career highs with 10 points and a 100% field goal percentage.
Arkansas-Pine Bluff Game Notes
- This was the 8th blowout loss this season (a loss by 20 or more points). Over the past 5 seasons, UAPB has been on the losing end of 40 blowout games.
- Terrell Kennedy accounted for 36.0% of the team's points.
- Terrell Kennedy has led the team in scoring 5 times in 16 games this season.
- Daniel Broughton has led the team in rebounding 3 times in 16 games this season.
- DaVon Haynes has 3 straight double-digit point games.