Maryland-Eastern Shore faced off with Norfolk State on Saturday, January 12th and lost in front of the home crowd against the Spartans 63-58 in conference play. The Hawks got a double-double out of Kevin Mays with a game-high 27 points and 10 rebounds. Ishaq Pitt had 14 points and added eight rebounds. For the Spartans, Pendarvis Williams finished with 12 points and four rebounds. Maryland-Eastern Shore (0-13, 0-1 MEAC) welcomes Delaware State (6-9, 1-0 MEAC) on Saturday, January 19th.
Maryland-Eastern Shore Game Notes
- The Hawks set a season high for steals.
- The last time UMES recorded at least 11 steals was Jan 21, 2012 against Florida A&M.
- UMES set a season low for three-pointers.
- The Hawks have turned the ball over more than their opponents in the past 4 games.
- Maryland-Eastern Shore has recorded fewer assists than their opponents for the past 13 games.
- This is the 2nd loss of the season where the Hawks opponent came back to win after being down at halftime.
- Kevin Mays recorded a team season high in field goals made with 10 and free throws attempted with 13.
- Francis Ezeiru tallied a team season high in defensive rebounds with 9.
- Kevin Mays accounted for 46.5% of the team's points.
- Francis Ezeiru accounted for 30.9% of the team's rebounds.
- This marks the 1st 20-point game of Kevin Mays's career.
- Kevin Mays recorded a double-double. It was the 1st of his career.
- Francis Ezeiru recorded the 1st double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Ishaq Pitt had career highs with 8 rebounds and 7 defensive rebounds.
Norfolk State Game Notes
- The Spartans won this one, but have lost 2 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Norfolk State has lost 26 close games.
- The top two scorers (Malcom Hawkins and Pendarvis Williams) accounted for 41.2% of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Rashid Gaston and Rob Johnson) accounted for 41.0% of the rebounds.
- The bench recorded more points (35) than the starters (28).
- Malcom Hawkins has led the team in scoring 6 times in 18 games this season.
- Rashid Gaston has led the team in rebounding 9 times in 18 games this season.
- Pendarvis Williams has 5 straight double-digit point games.
- Malcom Hawkins has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- Malcom Hawkins set a career high with 3 three-pointers.
- Rashid Gaston recorded the 2nd double-digit rebound game of his career.