(12-3, 3-2 away)
Southern Miss 73
(13-4, 7-0 home)
Venue: Reed Green Coliseum
3:00PM ET / 12:00PM PT, January 12, 2013
||J Young 17
||T Thomas 9
||J Thompson 3
||D Davis 12
||J Mills 6
||N Watson 5
On Saturday, January 12th, Southern Miss thumped Houston 73-54 in conference play. Southern Miss took a commanding 36-15 lead at halftime and never looked back. Daveon Boardingham played brilliantly for the Golden Eagles and put up 12 points plus five rebounds. Jonathan Mills had six points and added 10 rebounds (3 Ast 3 Stl). For the Cougars, TaShawn Thomas finished with 10 points and five rebounds. The next game will be on Wednesday, January 16th when Southern Miss (12-4, 2-0 C-USA) travels to Southern Methodist (11-7, 1-2 C-USA).
Southern Miss Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 4:41 left to go.
- The last time USM started the season 13-4 was 1997.
- The win over Houston extended the Southern Miss winning streak to 5 games.
- USM beat the spread by 6.5 points. That makes the 10th time this season the Golden Eagles have beaten the spread.
- The Golden Eagles have won 100% of the time this season (5-0) after recording 31 or more field goals made.
- Southern Miss has won 80% of the time this season (4-1) after committing 13 or fewer turnovers.
- USM has won 100% of the time this season (6-0) when opponents record 54 or fewer total points.
- USM has won 100% of the time this season (5-0) after holding an opponent to under 33.3% field goal percentage.
- This season Southern Miss has won 80% of the time (4-1) when Jerrold Brooks has 16 points or more and 91% of the time (10-1) when Neil Watson has 4 assists or more.
- The Golden Eagles have recorded more rebounds than their opponents for the past 5 games.
- This is the 6th game at home this season--USM has a 34.2 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Jerrold Brooks has led the team in scoring in 6 out of 17 games this season.
- Jonathan Mills has led the team in rebounding in 6 out of 17 games this season.
- Jonathan Mills recorded the 9th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Daveon Boardingham has 3 straight double-digit point games.
Houston Game Notes
- Houston lost and did not cover the spread.
- The top two scorers (Joseph Young and TaShawn Thomas) accounted for 44.4% of the points.
- Joseph Young has led the team in scoring 6 times in 15 games this season.
- Leon Gibson has led the team in rebounding 5 times in 15 games this season.
- Joseph Young has 8 straight double-digit point games.
- J.J. Thompson set a career high with a 100% three-point percentage.