Even though they entered the game as a 10-point underdog, Virginia Tech got a road victory against Georgia Tech 70-65 in overtime. Erick Green got his third straight game with 24 points or more for the Hokies, scoring a game-high 28 points on 56% shooting in 42 minutes. Erick Green played brilliantly for the Hokies and got a game-high 28 points plus five rebounds. C.J. Barksdale played his way to a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds. For the Yellow Jackets, Daniel Miller got six points and 11 rebounds. Next up for Virginia Tech (10-6, 1-2 ACC) is Wake Forest (8-6, 1-1 ACC) on Saturday, January 19th on their home court.
Virginia Tech Game Notes
- Virginia Tech started 10-6 during the 2007, 2005, and 2004 seasons (since 1996).
- VT beat the spread by 15.0 points. That makes the 6th time this season the Hokies have beaten the spread.
- Virginia Tech has played in 2 overtime games this season. Over the last 5 seasons, the Hokies have played in 19 overtime games with a record of 13-6.
- The Hokies have won 2 close games this season (a win by 5 or fewer points). Since 2007, Virginia Tech has won 32 close games.
- The Hokies have won 100% of the time this season (4-0) after recording 43 or more rebounds.
- This season Virginia Tech has won 71% of the time (5-2) when Cadarian Raines has 4 field goals made or more, 86% of the time (6-1) when Erick Green has 8 free throws made or more, and 78% of the time (7-2) when Jarell Eddie has 7 rebounds or more.
- Virginia Tech has recorded fewer three-pointers than their opponents for the past 9 games.
- This is the 3rd win of the season where the Hokies came back after being down at halftime.
- Erick Green accounted for 40.0% of the team's points.
- Erick Green has led the team in scoring in 14 out of 16 games this season.
- C.J. Barksdale has led the team in rebounding in 4 out of 16 games this season.
- This marks the 22nd 20-point game of Erick Green's career.
- Erick Green has 3 straight 20+ point games.
- C.J. Barksdale recorded the 2nd double-digit rebound game of his career.
- C.J. Barksdale recorded a double-double. It was the 1st of his career.
Georgia Tech Game Notes
- Georgia Tech lost and did not cover the spread.
- This loss extended the Yellow Jackets losing streak to 3 games.
- Robert Carter recorded a team season high in free throws made with 6.
- Daniel Miller accounted for 34.3% of the team's rebounds.
- Robert Carter has led the team in scoring 4 times in 15 games this season.
- Daniel Miller has led the team in rebounding 7 times in 15 games this season.
- Mfon Udofia has 4 straight double-digit point games.
- Daniel Miller recorded the 7th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- This was the 1st foul out of the season for Marcus Georges-Hunt.