On a day when they scored 30 points from behind the arc, Wisconsin upset No. 12 Illinois 74-51 in conference play. It was all Wisconsin from the beginning and they led 39-19 at the half. With the win, the Badgers improve their record to 1-2 versus AP-Ranked teams this season. Jared Berggren picked up a double-double in the win including a team-high 15 points and 12 rebounds. Sam Dekker also had a solid outing, scoring 13 points and adding four rebounds. For the Fighting Illini, Joseph Bertrand got 12 points and seven rebounds. The Badgers are on a five-game win streak. Next up for Wisconsin (12-4, 3-0 Big Ten) is fifth-ranked Indiana (15-1, 3-0 Big Ten) on Tuesday, January 15th on the road.
Wisconsin Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 5:19 left to go.
- Wisconsin started 12-4 during the 2011, 2010, 2008, 2002, and 2000 seasons (since 1996).
- The win over Illinois extended the Wisconsin winning streak to 6 games.
- Wisconsin beat the spread by 17.5 points. That makes the 5th time this season the Badgers have beaten the spread.
- This was the 8th blowout win this season (a win by 20 or more points). Over the past 5 seasons, Wisconsin has been on the winning end of 47 blowout games.
- Prior to this game, Wisconsin played 52 Top 25 opponents in the last 5 seasons with a record of 24-28.
- The Badgers have won 100% of the time this season (7-0) after recording 28 or more field goals made.
- Wisconsin has won 100% of the time this season (5-0) when its had a field goal percentage of 49.1% or better.
- Wisconsin has won 100% of the time this season (8-0) when opponents record 51 or fewer total points.
- Wisconsin has won 100% of the time this season (5-0) after holding an opponent to under 35.3% field goal percentage.
- This season Wisconsin has won 80% of the time (4-1) when Jared Berggren has 15 points or more and 80% of the time (8-2) when Ben Brust has 5 rebounds or more.
- The Badgers have recorded more assists than their opponents for the past 6 games.
- This is the 11th game at home this season--Wisconsin has a 25.7 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Jared Berggren recorded a team season high in offensive rebounds with 7.
- The top two rebounders (Jared Berggren and Mike Bruesewitz) accounted for 46.5% of the rebounds.
- Jared Berggren has led the team in scoring 8 times and in rebounding 5 times in 16 games this season.
- Jared Berggren recorded the 4th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Jared Berggren has 6 straight double-digit point games.
- Jared Berggren recorded a double-double. It was the 1st of his career.
- Jared Berggren had a career high with 7 offensive rebounds.
- Ryan Evans has 6 straight double-digit point games.
Illinois Game Notes
- Illinois lost and did not cover the spread.
- D.J. Richardson accounted for 31.3% of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Joseph Bertrand and Tracy Abrams) accounted for 45.8% of the rebounds.
- The bench recorded more rebounds (12) than the starters (11).
- D.J. Richardson set a career high with 7 field goals made.