On Saturday, January 12th, South Carolina was edged by Auburn 74-71 in conference play. Damien Leonard played well for the Gamecocks and got a season-high 17 points, shooting 5 of 8 from three-point range. Bruce Ellington had a season-high 18 points. Frankie Sullivan got a team-high 17 points and five assists for the Tigers. South Carolina (10-5, 0-2 SEC) gets LSU (9-4, 0-2 SEC) on the road on Wednesday, January 16th.
South Carolina Game Notes
- South Carolina started 10-5 during the 2010, 2009, 2006, 2004, 2001, 2000, and 1996 seasons (since 1996).
- The Gamecocks have been unlucky 2 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, South Carolina is 28-25 in close games.
- South Carolina has lost 83% of the time this season (1-5) after recording 71 or fewer total points.
- When the opposition shoots a three-point percentage of 44.4% or better this season, South Carolina has lost 100% of the time (0-3).
- USC set a season low for rebounds (31).
- The Gamecocks have recorded more rebounds than their opponents for the past 5 games.
- This is the 1st loss of the season where the Gamecocks opponent came back to win after being down at halftime.
- This is the 10th game at home this season--USC has a 6.0 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (Bruce Ellington and Damien Leonard) accounted for 49.2% of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Damien Leonard and Michael Carrera) accounted for 51.6% of the rebounds.
- The bench recorded more rebounds (21) than the starters (8).
- Damien Leonard had career highs with 5 three-pointers, 9 rebounds, and 6 offensive rebounds.
- This was the 2nd foul out of the season for Michael Carrera.
Auburn Game Notes
- The Tigers won this one, but have lost 4 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Auburn is 26-26 in close games.
- The top two scorers (Frankie Sullivan and Rob Chubb) accounted for 44.5% of the points.
- Rob Chubb accounted for 41.6% of the team's rebounds.
- Frankie Sullivan has led the team in scoring 9 times in 15 games this season.
- Rob Chubb has led the team in rebounding 7 times in 15 games this season.
- Frankie Sullivan has 5 straight double-digit point games.
- Rob Chubb recorded the 7th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Rob Chubb recorded a double-double. It was his 3rd this season and 4th of his career.
- Josh Wallace set a career high with 7 assists.
- This was the 1st foul out of the season for Noel Johnson.