On Saturday, January 12th, St. John's lost in a blowout to No. 19 Georgetown 67-51 in conference play. The game was never competitive, as Georgetown went up 36-19 at the half and never looked back. The Red Storm now have a record of 1-2 versus AP-Ranked teams this season. The Red Storm got 11 points and four assists (3 Reb 3 Stl) from Sir`Dominic Pointer. Chris Obekpa had three points and added 10 rebounds. Otto Porter registered a double-double for the Hoyas on a game-high 19 points and 14 rebounds. St. John's (9-7, 1-3 Big East) gets 17th-ranked Notre Dame (14-1, 2-0 Big East) on their home court on Tuesday, January 15th.
St. John's Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 5:07 left to go.
- The last time SJU started the season 9-7 was 1996.
- Prior to this game, SJU played 46 Top 25 opponents in the last 5 seasons with a record of 9-37.
- St. John's has lost 80% of the time this season (1-4) after recording 6 or fewer steals.
- When the opposition records 16 or more free throws made this season, St. John's has lost 100% of the time (0-4).
- When the opposition shoots a three-point percentage of 37.5% or better this season, St. John's has lost 100% of the time (0-3).
- When the opposition records 15 or more assists this season, St. John's has lost 100% of the time (0-3).
- SJU set a season low for total points.
- The Red Storm have recorded more blocks than their opponents for the past 7 games.
- Jamal Branch accounted for 31.3% of the team's points.
- Chris Obekpa accounted for 30.3% of the team's rebounds.
- The bench recorded more points (29) than the starters (22).
- Chris Obekpa has led the team in rebounding in 6 out of 16 games this season.
- Chris Obekpa recorded the 3rd double-digit rebound game of his career.
- JaKarr Sampson has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the 2nd foul out of the season for JaKarr Sampson.
Georgetown Game Notes
- Otto Porter recorded a team season high in free throws made with 9 and defensive rebounds with 13.
- The top two scorers (Otto Porter and Markel Starks) accounted for 53.7% of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Otto Porter and D`Vauntes Smith-Rivera) accounted for 50.0% of the rebounds.
- Otto Porter has led the team in scoring 7 times and in rebounding 7 times in 14 games this season.
- Otto Porter recorded the 11th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Otto Porter recorded a double-double. It was his 4th this season and 7th of his career.
- D`Vauntes Smith-Rivera recorded the 1st double-digit rebound game of his career.
- This was the 3rd foul out of the season for Mikael Hopkins.