In a 74-64 triumph over Purdue on January 8th, Deshaun Thomas put up 22 points and 7 rebounds for the Buckeyes. He leads the team in points with 20.3 per game and rebounds with 6.6 per game. For the Wolverines, Tim Hardaway Jr finished with 15 points and 11 rebounds in the 62-47 blowout of Nebraska on January 9th. He contributes 5.4 rebounds per game in addition to his 16.1 points per game. From a tempo-free perspective, Michigan is strong in the following categories: effective field goal percentage at 58.1, defensive rebounding percentage at 75.8,
and turnover percentage and 14.8.
- It must sting. Ohio State has blown out Michigan by 20 points or more on 6 occasions since 1999.
- Ohio State is taller. The average height of the top 8 players on Ohio State is 78.0 inches compared to 76.9 inches for Michigan.
- Ohio State has a much lower average debt at graduation according to Kiplinger than Michigan ($18,426 vs $26,819).
- Kids want to come here. Since 1998 Ohio State has recruited more Top 50 high school players than Michigan (16 vs 11).
- Shannon Scott is ranked 6th in the Big Ten in assists and 39th nationally in steals.
- Ohio State takes less vacation, with more NCAA Tournament appearances over the last 10 years than Michigan (6 vs 3).
- Ohio State has more Final Four appearances over the last 10 years than Michigan (2 vs 0).
- Ohio State has a much better NCSA Athletic Ranking than Michigan (#8 vs #25).
- The Ohio State basketball team finishes what they start, with a better graduation rate than Michigan (64% vs 36%).
- Ohio State is better under pressure, and has defeated Michigan in 5 out of the last 7 games decided by 5 points or fewer.
- The Ohio State blocks leader (Amir Williams) has more blocks than the Michigan blocks leader (Tim Hardaway Jr).