The Boilermakers were defeated by Ohio State 74-64 on January 8th despite 18 points and 6 rebounds from Terone Johnson. With 13.1 points per game, he leads the team in scoring average. For the Nittany Lions, Devonte (DJ) Newbill finished with 20 points in the 70-54 loss to Northwestern on January 10th. He is averaging 14.9 points per game and leads the team in assists with 3.9 per game. One category in which Penn State is especially proficient is defensive rebounding percentage at 74.9, ranking 2nd in their conference (and 8th nationally).
Penn State StatSmack
- At least you keep showing up. Purdue has an average margin of victory of 13 over Penn State in 26 wins since 1992.
- Diaper Dandies love us. Purdue has recruited more McDonald's All-Americans out of high school than Penn State (5 vs 0).
- We have a history of cultivating talent. Over the past 10 years, Purdue has had more players drafted by the NBA than Penn State (4 vs 0).
- Purdue has a much better overall winning percentage over the last 5 years (0.719 to 0.524).
- Kids want to come here. Since 1998 Purdue has recruited more Top 50 high school players than Penn State (3 vs 0).
- We just win. Purdue has more wins over the last 5 years than Penn State (135 vs 92).
- Purdue can actually jump, with more rebounds (41.4 per game vs 37.3 per game) than Penn State this season.
- Purdue is better under pressure, and has defeated Penn State in 6 out of the last 7 games decided by 5 points or fewer.
- D.J. Byrd is ranked 10th in the Big Ten in three-pointers.
- Purdue embarrassed Penn State by 24 points the last time they played (Feb 29, 2012).