In a 75-52 beatdown of Rice on January 9th, Daveon Boardingham put up 16 points and 7 rebounds for the Golden Eagles. On top of a team-high 0.8 blocks per game, he also scores 7.4 points per game. In a 78-67 victory over Southern Methodist on January 9th, Danuel House put up 28 points and 7 rebounds for the Cougars. He contributes 5.2 rebounds per game in addition to his 12.9 points per game. From a tempo-free perspective, Houston is strong in turnover percentage at 17.8. This is good enough for 2nd in the conference and 52nd in the nation.
- Southern Miss is better under pressure, and has defeated Houston in 6 out of the last 11 games decided by 5 points or fewer.
- At least you keep showing up. Southern Miss has an average margin of victory of 10 over Houston in 15 wins since 1996.
- Jerrold Brooks is ranked 6th in C-USA in three-pointers and 7th in C-USA in steals.
- Southern Miss is bigger. The average weight of the top 8 players on Southern Miss is 210 lbs compared to 198 lbs for Houston.
- Hattiesburg isn't as congested as Houston (population is significantly lower).
- Michael Craig is ranked 1st in C-USA in steals.
- We just win. Southern Miss has more wins over the last 5 years than Houston (111 vs 101).
- Even computers respect Southern Miss more. We have a better RPI this season than Houston (RPI: #56 vs #231).
- Neil Watson is ranked 4th in C-USA in assists and 4th in C-USA in steals.