(10-6, 4-1 away)
Penn State 54
(8-7, 7-5 home)
Venue: Bryce Jordan Center
8:00PM ET / 5:00PM PT, January 10, 2013
||R Hearn 14
||J Swopshire 5
||D Sobolewski 4
||T Frazier 16
||R Travis 7
||D (DJ) Newbill 3
Penn State was crushed by Northwestern 70-54 in conference play on Thursday, January 10th. Penn State dug a hole early, down 33-18 at the break, and was never able to get back in the game. The Nittany Lions were paced by Devonte (DJ) Newbill, who put up a game-high 20 points and four rebounds. Jermaine Marshall had 13 points. Jared Swopshire finished with 17 points and seven rebounds for the Wildcats. The next game will be on Sunday, January 13th when Penn State (8-7, 0-3 Big Ten) travels to Purdue (7-8, 1-2 Big Ten).
Penn State Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 4:35 left to go.
- Penn State started 8-7 during the 2011, 2009, 2003, and 1996 seasons (since 1996).
- Penn State has lost 100% of the time this season (0-3) after recording 54 or fewer total points.
- When the opposition shoots a three-point percentage of 40.9% or better this season, Penn State has lost 100% of the time (0-6).
- When the opposition commits 7 or fewer turnovers this season, Penn State has lost 100% of the time (0-3).
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 45.8% or better this season, Penn State has lost 83% of the time (1-5).
- PSU set season lows for field goal percentage and three-pointers.
- The Nittany Lions have recorded more rebounds than their opponents for the past 9 games.
- Penn State has recorded fewer steals than their opponents for the past 4 games.
- This is the 10th game at home this season--PSU has a 1.9 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill accounted for 37.0% of the team's points.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill has led the team in scoring in 5 out of 15 games this season.
- Ross Travis has led the team in rebounding in 10 out of 15 games this season.
- This marks the 5th 20-point game of Devonte (DJ) Newbill's career.
- Jermaine Marshall has 3 straight double-digit point games.
Northwestern Game Notes
- Reggie Hearn recorded a team season high in free throws attempted with 11.
- The top two scorers (Dave Sobolewski and Jared Swopshire) accounted for 50.0% of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Alex Olah and Jared Swopshire) accounted for 45.4% of the rebounds.
- Dave Sobolewski has led the team in scoring 4 times in 16 games this season.
- Dave Sobolewski set a career high with 7 field goals made.