(10-6, 4-1 away)
Penn State 54
(8-7, 7-5 home)
Venue: Bryce Jordan Center
8:00PM ET / 5:00PM PT, January 10, 2013
||R Hearn 14
||J Swopshire 5
||D Sobolewski 4
||T Frazier 16
||R Travis 7
||D (DJ) Newbill 3
Northwestern squared off with Penn State on Thursday, January 10th and easily defeated the Nittany Lions 70-54 in conference play. It was all Northwestern from the beginning and they led 33-18 at the half. The Wildcats got the win with 17 points and seven rebounds from Jared Swopshire. Dave Sobolewski had a team-high 18 points and added five assists. For the Nittany Lions, Devonte (DJ) Newbill got a game-high 20 points and four rebounds. Next up for Northwestern (10-6, 1-2 Big Ten) is Iowa (11-5, 0-3 Big Ten) on Sunday, January 13th at home.
Northwestern Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 4:35 left to go.
- Northwestern started 10-6 during the 2008, 2006, and 2001 seasons (since 1996).
- NU beat the spread by 18.0 points. That makes the 7th time this season the Wildcats have beaten the spread.
- The Wildcats have won 100% of the time this season (7-0) after recording 70 or more total points.
- Northwestern has won 100% of the time this season (7-0) when its had a field goal percentage of 45.8% or better.
- NU has won 86% of the time this season (6-1) when opponents record 54 or fewer total points.
- NU has won 80% of the time this season (4-1) after holding an opponent to under 31.6% field goal percentage.
- This season Northwestern has won 71% of the time (5-2) when Reggie Hearn has 14 points or more, 100% of the time (5-0) when Dave Sobolewski has 3 three-pointers or more, and 80% of the time (4-1) when Jared Swopshire has 7 rebounds or more.
- The Wildcats set a season high for blocks.
- Reggie Hearn recorded a team season high in free throws attempted with 11.
- The top two scorers (Dave Sobolewski and Jared Swopshire) accounted for 50.0% of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Alex Olah and Jared Swopshire) accounted for 45.4% of the rebounds.
- Dave Sobolewski has led the team in scoring in 4 out of 16 games this season.
- Dave Sobolewski had a career high with 7 field goals made.
Penn State Game Notes
- Penn State lost and did not cover the spread.
- This loss extended the Nittany Lions losing streak to 3 games.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill accounted for 37.0% of the team's points.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill has led the team in scoring 5 times in 15 games this season.
- Ross Travis has led the team in rebounding 10 times in 15 games this season.
- This marks the 5th 20-point game of Devonte (DJ) Newbill's career.
- Jermaine Marshall has 3 straight double-digit point games.