FL Internationial 66
(8-7, 4-5 away)
Arkansas State 64
(10-6, 7-2 home)
Venue: Convocation Center (AR)
8:05PM ET / 5:05PM PT, January 10, 2013
||T Murphy 15
||T Murphy 7
||D Hill 2
||E Townsel 16
||B Peterson 9
||R Dickerson 2
Though they were a 10-point underdog coming into the game, Florida International won by a slim margin against Arkansas State 66-64 in conference play. The Golden Panthers stay unbeaten against Arkansas State this season at 2-0. The Golden Panthers got the win with 12 points and six rebounds from Tymell Murphy. Deric Hill had 11 points and added six rebounds. For the Red Wolves, Edward Townsel finished with a game-high 20 points and seven rebounds. Florida International (7-7, 2-2 Sun Belt) goes to Arkansas-Little Rock (9-8, 1-3 Sun Belt) on Saturday, January 12th.
Florida International Game Notes
- The last time FIU started the season 8-7 was 2010.
- The win over Arkansas State extended the Florida International winning streak to 4 games.
- FIU beat the spread by 12.0 points. That makes the 4th time this season the Golden Panthers have beaten the spread.
- The Golden Panthers have won 5 close games this season (a win by 5 or fewer points). Since 2007, Florida International has won 26 close games.
- The Golden Panthers have won 86% of the time this season (6-1) after recording 16 or more free throws made.
- Florida International has won 86% of the time this season (6-1) after committing 17 or fewer turnovers.
- The Golden Panthers have outshot their opponents in field goal percentage for the past 4 games.
- The top two rebounders (Deric Hill and Tymell Murphy) accounted for 44.4% of the rebounds.
- Tymell Murphy has led the team in scoring in 9 out of 15 games this season.
- Tymell Murphy has 6 straight double-digit point games.
Arkansas State Game Notes
- Arkansas State lost and did not cover the spread.
- The Red Wolves have lost 2 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Arkansas State has lost 31 close games.
- Edward Townsel recorded a team season high in three pointers attempted with 15.
- Edward Townsel accounted for 31.2% of the team's points.
- Edward Townsel has led the team in scoring 9 times in 16 games this season.
- Trey Finn has led the team in rebounding 3 times in 16 games this season.
- This marks the 7th 20-point game of Edward Townsel's career.
- This was the 1st foul out of the season for Trey Finn.
|C||M. Porcher Jimenez||17||5||1||0||0||0||0|