No. 22 Michigan State squared off with Iowa on Thursday, January 10th and just barely slipped by the Hawkeyes 62-59 in Big Ten play. Branden Dawson played brilliantly for the Spartans and put up a career-high 17 points plus four rebounds (3 Ast 3 Stl). Gary Harris also had a solid outing, scoring 14 points and adding five rebounds. For the Hawkeyes, Melsahn Basabe got 14 points and three rebounds. The next game will be on Sunday, January 13th when Michigan State (13-3, 2-1 Big Ten) hosts Nebraska (9-7, 0-3 Big Ten).
Michigan State Game Notes
- Michigan State started 13-3 during the 2009, 2006, and 2004 seasons (since 1996).
- MSU beat the spread by 1.0 points. That makes the 4th time this season the Spartans have beaten the spread.
- The Spartans have won 4 close games this season (a win by 5 or fewer points). Since 2007, Michigan State has won 34 close games.
- Michigan State has won 83% of the time this season (5-1) after committing 12 or fewer turnovers.
- MSU has won 100% of the time this season (8-0) when opponents record 59 or fewer total points.
- MSU has won 100% of the time this season (4-0) after holding an opponent to under 25.0% three-point percentage.
- This season Michigan State has won 73% of the time (8-3) when Keith Appling has 12 points or more, 73% of the time (8-3) when Gary Harris has 4 field goals made or more, and 92% of the time (11-1) when Adreian Payne has 6 rebounds or more.
- The Spartans have recorded more steals than their opponents for the past 5 games.
- Michigan State has recorded fewer blocks than their opponents for the past 5 games.
- This is the 4th win of the season where the Spartans came back after being down at halftime.
- The top two scorers (Branden Dawson and Gary Harris) accounted for 50.0% of the points.
- Derrick Nix has led the team in rebounding in 7 out of 16 games this season.
- Gary Harris has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- Branden Dawson had a career high with 17 points.
Iowa Game Notes
- Iowa lost and did not cover the spread.
- The Hawkeyes have lost 2 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Iowa has lost 26 close games.
- This loss extended the Hawkeyes losing streak to 3 games.
- The top two scorers (Zach McCabe and Melsahn Basabe) accounted for 49.1% of the points.
- The bench recorded more points (31) than the starters (28).