Michigan State 62
(13-3, 3-3 away)
(11-5, 11-2 home)
Venue: Carver-Hawkeye Arena
7:00PM ET / 4:00PM PT, January 10, 2013
||K Appling 14
||A Payne 7
||K Appling 4
||R Devyn Marble 15
||A White 6
||A Clemmons 4
Iowa let one slip away to No. 22 Michigan State 62-59 in conference play on Thursday, January 10th. The Hawkeyes stay winless versus AP-Ranked teams at 0-3 for the season. The Hawkeyes got a good performance from Melsahn Basabe, who put up 14 points and three rebounds. Zach McCabe also had a decent outing, scoring a season-high 15 points and adding seven rebounds. Branden Dawson finished with a career-high 17 points and four rebounds (3 Ast 3 Stl) for the Spartans. This makes three losses in a row for the Hawkeyes. Next up for Iowa (11-5, 0-3 Big Ten) is Northwestern (9-6, 0-2 Big Ten) on Sunday, January 13th on the road.
Iowa Game Notes
- Iowa started 11-5 during the 2008 and 2002 seasons (since 1996).
- The Hawkeyes have been unlucky 2 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Iowa has lost 26 close games.
- Prior to this game, Iowa played 37 Top 25 opponents in the last 5 seasons with a record of 6-31.
- Iowa has lost 100% of the time this season (0-4) after recording 35 or fewer rebounds.
- When the opposition commits 12 or fewer turnovers this season, Iowa has lost 80% of the time (1-4).
- Iowa set a season low for total points.
- Iowa has been outshot by their opponents in three-point percentage for the past 4 games.
- This is the 2nd loss of the season where the Hawkeyes opponent came back to win after being down at halftime.
- This is the 11th game at home this season--Iowa has a 19.2 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (Zach McCabe and Melsahn Basabe) accounted for 49.1% of the points.
- The bench recorded more points (31) than the starters (28).
Michigan State Game Notes
- The top two scorers (Branden Dawson and Gary Harris) accounted for 50.0% of the points.
- Derrick Nix has led the team in rebounding 7 times in 16 games this season.
- Gary Harris has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- Branden Dawson set a career high with 17 points.