In an 81-74 win over Santa Clara on January 5th, Kelly Olynyk put up 33 points and 10 rebounds for the Bulldogs. On top of his scoring average of 18.1 points per game, he delivers 6.7 rebounds per game. For the Gaels, Matthew Dellavedova finished with 17 points and 5 rebounds in the 74-61 win over Loyola Marymount on January 5th. He leads the team in points with 17.2 per game and assists with 6.4 per game. From a tempo-free perspective, Saint Mary's is strong in the following categories: effective field goal percentage at 57.4, defensive rebounding percentage at 74.6,
and offensive rebounding percentage and 37.8.
Saint Mary's StatSmack
- David Stockton is ranked 49th nationally in steals.
- The Gonzaga steals leader (David Stockton) has more steals than the Saint Mary's steals leader (James Walker III).
- At least you keep showing up. Gonzaga has an average margin of victory of 14 over Saint Mary's in 52 wins since 1980.
- Kevin Pangos is ranked 4th in the West Coast in three-pointers, 10th in the West Coast in assists, and 5th in the West Coast in steals.
- It's only wins and losses, but Gonzaga has a better overall record than Saint Mary's this season (13-1 vs 11-3).
- AP voters think more highly of Gonzaga and have put us in the AP Top 25 more often over the past 10 years than Saint Mary's (137 vs 40).
- We beat real teams. Gonzaga has more wins against the RPI Top 50 than Saint Mary's this season (3 vs 0).
- Gonzaga is better at defending the three (34.9% allowed vs 39.9% allowed) than Saint Mary's this season.
- Keep filling up on cupcakes. Gonzaga has a stronger schedule than Saint Mary's this season (SOS Rank: #18 vs #261).
- Even computers respect Gonzaga more. We have a better RPI this season than Saint Mary's (RPI: #7 vs #105).
- It must sting. Gonzaga has blown out Saint Mary's by 20 points or more on 14 occasions since 1996.